Tires

sg47619

What kind of tires is everyone running on the rear of there coach. Mine is a 01 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38. 295/70r 22.5s. 

Synopsis from reading just about every tire post from 2009 on.  

Many failures with the OEM GY.  Some of the GY failures may have been on the first set of replacements.  Deadly crashes and harrowing and expensive results.  GY Engineers supposedly said, at some rally’s, to increase front TP to low 120’s to prevent premature rivering wear.  That in effect, also could have lead to other issues as the increased pressures caused more stress from normal road hazards and higher nominal temperatures.  My “GUESS”…less than 10% of the posters would go back or recommend GY.  There has NOW been a 13 YO recall.  

Michelins were a popular choice for replacement.  Bridgestone was a close second.  Much debate.  The Michelin’s had a smaller tread patch in the same size according to some knowledgeable users and some carefully measured examples.  That lead to an upgrade from 295 to 315 to get more rubber on the road.  Not all chassis would handle the increased size, but only a few reports of issues.  The Bridgestones were the same size road patch as the GY and were more competitively priced, even with the FMCA member discount.  The debate raged.  Ford v Chevy.  

Circa 2014/5, there were many reports of Michelin side wall cracking and concerns of premature failure.  Polarization became worse.  Several members were adamant and pursued adjustments with Michelin and some got compensation.  There were no reported blowouts or failures with either Michelin or Bridgestone.  Ride quality was reportedly improved as well as “steering track ability” with both.  Non scientific, but typically a comment compared to the GY.

Several other brands were mentioned, but only Toyo got traction.  This is not besmirching other brands, just that the folks added Toyo to the main discussion mix….and the other brands never did.  Bridgestone replaced the de facto standard tire with an “energy” tire to complete with Michelin.  Still reports of premature side wall Michelin cracking.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.  I replaced my GY prematurely at 22K in 2012.  In 2018, I had a very extreme wear issue on the RF.  Had a little outside toe wear at 56K.  Was gradual, but not unusual.  My OTR shop is good and they didn’t call any attention to it when spring maintenance done.  Left NC and by the time I left Salt Lake City, it was critical.  The outer belt was into the “next” rubber compound.  So, at 58K, new front Toyo’s.  These were 6 year old Bridgestones, not the newer energy series.  Spent a lot of time with many experts here.  Also talked to Barry, service manager at Josams.  Josams had aligned coach in 2010.  He reported that there was rarely, if ever, a chassis failure on a Roadmaster.  He had me do front end measurements and the Toe Ends were good, almost perfect.  The fact that the inner rib was fine and the LF was wearing evenly…..he advised a freak, but becoming more common Bridgestone failure.  He had seen several recently where a rib would just start to wear quickly up to the point of potential failure.  No other members reported this and it was a major topic on the old site.  Replaced with Toyo M144 (memory….there was only one for my 295/80 size).  Completed the trip.  Had a reputable front end shop check In Sacramento for any wear or issues.  NADA. Clean bill of health.  I did have a loose upper stud shock on the RF and one on the LF that were corrected when tires replaced.  One of the Source Engineering HD Custom valves Bilstein shocks, on the RF developed a hydraulic leak that was caught next spring.  Coincidentally or caused by tire failure….no clue.  

i replaced the 10 YO rear Bridgestone this spring with TOYO. YES….THAT WAS A LONG TIME.  Mileage was 65K, so I got 43K….no unusual wear.  Excellent. The Bridgestone showed no signs of premature tire wear nor sidewall checking and the MH is stored in a carport style row and the units on either side providing direct UV protection from sunlight.  I also have used Pressure Pro TPMS since 2010 so the rears were never, as were the fronts, subjected to improper or low pressure.  The rears were run about 5 PSI under max based on load and weight measurements.  Due to a broken leg and COVID and GK getting older, we only put 1,500 Miles per year after the 8,500 mile 2018 trip, so I did “push” them a little.  I know one other knowledgeable member that has enclosed storage and recently replaced the 9 or so YO Michelins with Toyo.  

That is my comment and recollections.  Other may differ based on their experience as well as recollections.

31 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Synopsis from reading just about every tire post from 2009 on.  

Many failures with the OEM GY.  Some of the GY failures may have been on the first set of replacements.  Deadly crashes and harrowing and expensive results.  GY Engineers supposedly said, at some rally’s, to increase front TP to low 120’s to prevent premature rivering wear.  That in effect, also could have lead to other issues as the increased pressures caused more stress from normal road hazards and higher nominal temperatures.  My “GUESS”…less than 10% of the posters would go back or recommend GY.  There has NOW been a 13 YO recall.  

Michelins were a popular choice for replacement.  Bridgestone was a close second.  Much debate.  The Michelin’s had a smaller tread patch in the same size according to some knowledgeable users and some carefully measured examples.  That lead to an upgrade from 295 to 315 to get more rubber on the road.  Not all chassis would handle the increased size, but only a few reports of issues.  The Bridgestones were the same size road patch as the GY and were more competitively priced, even with the FMCA member discount.  The debate raged.  Ford v Chevy.  

Circa 2014/5, there were many reports of Michelin side wall cracking and concerns of premature failure.  Polarization became worse.  Several members were adamant and pursued adjustments with Michelin and some got compensation.  There were no reported blowouts or failures with either Michelin or Bridgestone.  Ride quality was reportedly improved as well as “steering track ability” with both.  Non scientific, but typically a comment compared to the GY.

Several other brands were mentioned, but only Toyo got traction.  This is not besmirching other brands, just that the folks added Toyo to the main discussion mix….and the other brands never did.  Bridgestone replaced the de facto standard tire with an “energy” tire to complete with Michelin.  Still reports of premature side wall Michelin cracking.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.  I replaced my GY prematurely at 22K in 2012.  In 2018, I had a very extreme wear issue on the RF.  Had a little outside toe wear at 56K.  Was gradual, but not unusual.  My OTR shop is good and they didn’t call any attention to it when spring maintenance done.  Left NC and by the time I left Salt Lake City, it was critical.  The outer belt was into the “next” rubber compound.  So, at 58K, new front Toyo’s.  These were 6 year old Bridgestones, not the newer energy series.  Spent a lot of time with many experts here.  Also talked to Barry, service manager at Josams.  Josams had aligned coach in 2010.  He reported that there was rarely, if ever, a chassis failure on a Roadmaster.  He had me do front end measurements and the Toe Ends were good, almost perfect.  The fact that the inner rib was fine and the LF was wearing evenly…..he advised a freak, but becoming more common Bridgestone failure.  He had seen several recently where a rib would just start to wear quickly up to the point of potential failure.  No other members reported this and it was a major topic on the old site.  Replaced with Toyo M144 (memory….there was only one for my 295/80 size).  Completed the trip.  Had a reputable front end shop check In Sacramento for any wear or issues.  NADA. Clean bill of health.  I did have a loose upper stud shock on the RF and one on the LF that were corrected when tires replaced.  One of the Source Engineering HD Custom valves Bilstein shocks, on the RF developed a hydraulic leak that was caught next spring.  Coincidentally or caused by tire failure….no clue.  

i replaced the 10 YO rear Bridgestone this spring with TOYO. YES….THAT WAS A LONG TIME.  Mileage was 65K, so I got 43K….no unusual wear.  Excellent. The Bridgestone showed no signs of premature tire wear nor sidewall checking and the MH is stored in a carport style row and the units on either side providing direct UV protection from sunlight.  I also have used Pressure Pro TPMS since 2010 so the rears were never, as were the fronts, subjected to improper or low pressure.  The rears were run about 5 PSI under max based on load and weight measurements.  Due to a broken leg and COVID and GK getting older, we only put 1,500 Miles per year after the 8,500 mile 2018 trip, so I did “push” them a little.  I know one other knowledgeable member that has enclosed storage and recently replaced the 9 or so YO Michelins with Toyo.  

That is my comment and recollections.  Other may differ based on their experience as well as recollections.

Thanks for the info I’ll probably go with the Toyo Serbs like everyone liked them. 
the couple I bought the coach from said they were only two years old, he got hung up and put bricks under the right rear tire and it really messed up the tread in the center of the tire. 

7 minutes ago, Rocketman3 said:

The previous owner put Yokohama’s on my rig, they seemed fine - so when they aged out I replaced them with the same. 4 years - no problems. 

That’s what’s on this coach. 

One more vote for Toyo M144. When we bought our 2008 Dynasty all the tires were "New". still had the knobs on them. Only problem is they were put on the coach in 2018. Date code on the tires were 2017. The previous owner parked the coach for 2 1/2 years and never moved it. Flat spotted the brand new tires and they were a total loss. Inner walls were separating. I replaced all 8 tires with Toyo's and wheel balancers. All good now.

I recently put 2 steer Toyo M144 to replace 2 Michelin, which were 3 years old. I have done several things to improve my ride, including the front Monaco Watts and rear cross bars.  I thought I had mine driving really good. But the M144s immediately gave me a solid steering  track on the road. I realize now that the Michelins had some slow wandering, which might be due to softer sidewalls.

i am now on a trip and have driven over 600 miles and I’m sold on the Toyo ride and handling. They are a pleasant improvement for me.

My Dynasty had an almost new set of Bridgestone's on it when I purchased it in 2003.
In 2008 or 2009 I blew an outer dual, and replaced them with Sumotomo ST738.  I also upsized from 10R-22.5 to 11R-22.5, which is a very common OTR truck tire size.
I've been happy with the Sumitomo's, though I haven't been driving the coach for the past few years.
They ran smooth, and still show no signs of cracking after 13 years, though they will be replaced when I return the rig to service.
I sold the other 5 Bridgestones to a trucker for trailer use, and picked up a used 11R-22.5 to keep with me as a spare.

I'd definitely go with Sumitomo again, if they're still available at a competitive price.  Otherwise the Toyo's seem to have a good reputation as well.

I went to Best One Tire and Service, I ask them to check the dates on my tires, I had one that needed changed. He told me the front steering tires were 2010 and the rear tires were 2006. The Guy I bought it from told me they were two or three years old. All they sold was RoadMaster 295/75r 22.5. So I left with 6 new shoes on my 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need to replace my Michelins on my 2006 Windsor.  I have always run Michelins even with my previous HR.   So a switch to Toyo is a new world for me.  I have been reading as much as I can on Toyo and it appears Motorhomers are well satisfied with the performance of Toyo and the price is competitive with the purchasing program of FMCA for Michelin.   Where I am now stuck is the difference in designations of Toyo M144 and M177.   My local dealer is recommending 295/75R22.5/16 M177 STR/DG $ Toyo 547130

Are the M177 only long distance trucker tires?   Why are all your discussions centered around M144 with no discussion of M177?  They are also discussed elsewhere as RV use.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, David White said:

Rich, I think your Windsor came with 295/80R22.5 and they are available in Toyo M144.

Right David, my 03 Windsor has 295/80/22.5 tires.   However, that size may be foreign to some tire stores, I have had them say to me don't you mean 75 not 80.  Had to insist nope they are 80s.  Finally, they would say ok, I see them now.

Personally, I wouldn't go down in size.