Joined the club.

Good morning all,

You've seen me around these parts before, as I was a bidder on the lightning damaged Konigsburg system coach, but I obviously didn't win the auction.

Great news though!  Next week we bring home a 2007 Dynasty Palace III.  I'm sure you'll be seeing me around asking all kinds of newbie questions, and I'd like to thank everyone in advance for their patience and assistance.

A bit of history about myself:  My wife and I are both pilots at Southwest, and we have a 6-year old daughter who is the light of our lives.  We live just south of the ATL airport and our intention is to travel the country with our daughter and thoroughly immerse her in our country's beautiful scenery and rich history.

Looking forward to meeting you all sometime, somewhere.

Noel Barlau

• Like 5

Hadn't heard about it, you may have told me there's something new!  As far as I know it's just A-B-C with C still meaning Center.  But if I hear anything else I'll report back.

Welcome aboard. You will appreciate the use of a check list for departure and arrival, enroute with a great GPS to keep you away from low bridges etc is a must. Pre-flight planning with a huge RV is important. I like to use Google maps etc to look at intersections and sometimes even print them out. Being in the correct lane early in the route change is really important. 

I'm a private pilot, built a Pulsar XP. Can't fly anymore but can still dream about the magical carpet ride in a tiny plane. 

• Like 1

A warm welcome to the very BEST Monaco web site you will find on the Internet. May you have many memorable memories from your travels with a beautiful coach. We traveled Full-Time for over 8 years and have seen some beautiful places during all of our travels from Alaska to Key West and San Diego to Bar Harbor Maine.

Safe travels!

• Like 3

Regarding the boarding changes, it looks like they're limiting Early Bird boarding purchases to incentivize business customers buying business class tickets at commensurate prices. We shall see how this plays out...

I'm just the guy who flies the plane. Nobody ever asks me. Ha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSBOB1 said:

Regarding the boarding changes . . .

I'm just the guy who flies the plane. Nobody ever asks me. Ha.

I heard American Airlines has:
Chairman preferred
Platinum preferred
Gold preferred
Silver preferred
Preferred
Prefer you took the bus.

Welcome to Monacoers
- bob
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Noel, you don't have to check it out. It was an attempt at humor.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Gotcha Gary, look up Gullible in the dictionary to see what I look like. Lol

Thanks guys, I feel very welcomed.  We're bringing the coach home on the 19th and I'll try to get some pics posted.

Usually I do the driving of the heavy ground equipment since I grew up on a dairy farm in northern Wisconsin and have been operating large machinery since I was about 8 years old.  Not that my wife couldn't do it, mind.  She does fly a 737 for a living...  But somehow I'm the one who drives the bus.

So far we've had an Itasca Meridian 39k, a Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition travel trailer, a Wanderlodge WB with the Detroit Series 60, and now this Monaco Dynasty.  It's been quite the learning experience.

Noel, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the site. We live just south of the airport as well. We have a lot of friends that work for Delta including my son, he hired on about a year ago so now we have flight privileges so we are going to take advantage of that.

Some of the best lunches and dinners I ever had were the ones I made an ATP buy. 🙂

There are a lot of retired pilots on here. 2 are former 747 Captains ( NWA & United ). Most of my running buddies are retired overpaid and underworked ATP's. 🙂

All kidding aside my stress reliever is to wet lease the diesel twin ( Diamond 42 ) and go sight seeing along the gulf coast. Recreational flying is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Hauling human cargo is not much fun. I seem to be a magnet for pilots. My service center has done a lot of work on Airline pilot coaches. Just finished one for a Spirit Air bus driver. Delta, NWA, United, American, UPS, they have all adorned my service center at one time or another.

Your marriage reminds me of the time I camped next to a married couple. She flew for United and he flew for Southwest. I was talking to them, stuck a spoon in a pot and stirred it until they started bantering each other over whose airline was the best. I walked away with a smile that day leaving them to argue over who was the best. I am betting if I met you and your wife she would say she is the smooth pilot and you are the ham fisted one. Nothing I enjoy more then getting ATP's all cranked up. 🙂

Welcome aboard. The Dynasty is a great coach. Unfortunately they do not come with auto pilot, which you ATP's love selecting at 200 ft after rotation. 🙂

• Haha 1

We're not really "typical" airline pilots.  If you'd come in our house you'd see no evidence of our careers.  No wooden or bent metal ground strike propellers hanging on the wall, no models of airplanes we've flown, nor prior airline epaulet and wings "I Love Me" displays anywhere to be found, and our yearly scheduling calendar we have hanging on the wall is focused on different breeds of chickens.  Flying is a career, and a good one at that, but it's not our passion.  Our passion is really for personal travel, whether it's by airplane, boat, car, or RV.  Also our 6-year old is top priority at all times, and she always comes first in any decision we make regarding our future.

I haven't flown an aircraft smaller than a DC-9/717 since the very early oughts.  My wife was a demo pilot for Raytheon for a while after she was furloughed from TWA/AA, so she's much more current in the piston planes than I am.  She also maintains her CFI/II/MEI and she's intending on going back to instruction and possibly doing the DE thing after she retires from SW in a few years.

As a compensation for my lack of small airplane flying, I don't usually turn on the autopilot below 10k on climb out unless I want to do some sightseeing.  Gotta keep those hand flying skills sharpened somehow...

It'd be nice to have the VORAD system, but really it'd just be gravy.  I'm super excited about picking up the Dynasty, but they've pushed back delivery until Wednesday next week because they need to replace the exhaust manifold gasket and they're having a bit of a labor shortage.  This is my surprised face.  Ah well, you don't want to rush a job like that anyways.  I'm just glad I discovered it during the test drive so they have to take care of it at the dealership instead of it falling onto my list of things to do, which is too long already by a long ways.  I like to do my own wrenching most of the time, but I really hate crawling around inside the tight confines of engine bays.  Drives me nuts not having adequate room to work on something.

• Like 1

I watch a lot of "Air Disasters" on Smithsonian channel (my wife can't watch it).  One of the issues is pilots not being able to land the plane manually due to their reliance on automated systems.  Last night was an episode where the flight crew ran out of fuel over the Atlantic.  They saw they were running out but determined it was a computer glitch.  They glided from 30,000 ft and just barely made it to a military base in the Azores.  Balls of steel!  Other shows usually don't end well. 

Fly safe, and keep your daughter # 1 priority.  Family first.

- bob

• 3 weeks later...

PXL_20230905_135325101.thumb.jpg.7bce06121ae6695373bdda403b953a32.jpg

PXL_20230905_135358415.jpg

Already have her out and about, enjoying the post-Labor Day emptiness at McKinney Campground at Lake Allatoona, GA.

So far, it's been amazing. Really a next-level experience.  Super glad we made the purchase.

• Like 1

Good for you two 👍!

Growing up, I always wanted to be an airline pilot!

Couple of years left of high school , I discovered weed & alcohol. Plans went out the window!

Got a good paying local job right out of high school, and the rest is history!

Worked my way to the top over the next 41yrs, but, when I see a jet flying overhead, I still feel like kicking myself in the keester!!