Replacement tire SUGGESTIONS and discussion.....

saflyer

I need six new tires for my HR Ambassador, 275/70R 22.5. Running Michelins now but they’re too expensive this time around. A friend put Toyos on a few years ago for a good price.He’s happy with them. Another thread poster put Hercules on but had a harsher ride than his old ones. Nothing was said about other brands like Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone, etc. Any sugestiona.

Also, things like M144 and 11A were mentioned. Are these models or specs?

I went from all Michelin to all Toyo and happy with it. Lot cheaper too. If you are to stick with your tire size, Toyo may not be your best choice for hiway driving, M144 is a great tire but not available in your size. 11R is still quite larger that yours. Also don't forget about load rating, G or H etc. Every manufacturer has a table with available sizes and dimensions to compare. You get plenty of opinions to choose from.

• Like 1

Michelin, Toyo, Continental, and BF Goodrich get high ratings from the RV folks.  Some of the offshore brands are getting good reviews.  I would avoid the Michelin XRV as they had sidewall cracking issues.  Also, the Goodyear G670 tires had issues with blowouts.  

Shop around online:

https://www.motorhometires.com/

https://simpletire.com/

https://www.tires-easy.com/

Most of these places will include shipping, mounting, and balancing.  

Toyo tires are used commonly on heavy trucks traveling our highways. I used to buy these when I was running heavy trucks in my previous life because I liked that they were a good mid range tire & that they were made in America. My understanding was that they were made in a joint facility with Bridgestone & Firestone. I Most all of my friends are running Toyo's on their MH's. These tires are reasonably priced for us because they wear well & provide a comfortable ride. We will never wear out the tread on our tires so why pay up for the Michelin's? It is reasonable for some of us to choose the higher priced Michelin tires if that what we like but for me I am please with my Toyo's.

• Like 1

I've run Toyo's and Continental on my other motorhome but this one came with Roadmasters all around and I can't say anything bad about them. I'm replacing the rears which are 8 years old, I know pushing it, but still no signs a sidewall cracking and wore very well. The fronts were put on when I bought it and are just over 3 years old now so I will run them another year or so before I replace them. Ride is good, price is right as well so I may just put them back on the front too.

Guest Ray Davis
14 hours ago, Craggar said:

this one came with Roadmasters all around and I can't say anything bad about them

Roadmaster tires didn't ring a bell with me so I googled them.  It appears to me they are a Cooper Tire which is a Goodyear company.

Tire companies are a web of names & manufacturing sites around the world.  Difficult to know who is who.

Roadmaster Tires trademark Engineered by Coopertires Logo Roadmaster Tires trademark Engineered by Coopertires Logo

45 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Roadmaster tires didn't ring a bell with me so I googled them.  It appears to me they are a Cooper Tire which is a Goodyear company.

Tire companies are a web of names & manufacturing sites around the world.  Difficult to know who is who.

Roadmaster Tires trademark Engineered by Coopertires Logo Roadmaster Tires trademark Engineered by Coopertires Logo

Oh, I didn’t know that. I hadn’t really looked into it and was trusting what the po used since he had a few trucks in his company. 
 Maybe I wont put them on the front now but will be using them again on the rears for sure.  Thanks for looking it up for me.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Craggar said:

Oh, I didn’t know that. I hadn’t really looked into it and was trusting what the po used since he had a few trucks in his company. 
 Maybe I wont put them on the front now but will be using them again on the rears for sure.  Thanks for looking it up for me.

I wasn't trying to be negative or put down Roadmaster tires they are probably fine tires.   As far as I know, Cooper has a good reputation and for the most part Goodyear does except for their G 670 RV tires which by the way I had no problems with.

51 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I wasn't trying to be negative or put down Roadmaster tires they are probably fine tires.   As far as I know, Cooper has a good reputation and for the most part Goodyear does except for their G 670 RV tires which by the way I had no problems with.

All good, I will just do some digging before I replace the fronts to be sure.

• Like 1

Well, since Toyo doesn’t make the 275/70R 22.5 anymore I checked locally and could only find Hercules and Sumitomo in my load and speed range. Current Michelins show 148/145M for these ranges. The Hercules and Sumitomo run close to each other in price, low $3000 range out the door. Any suggestions?

Also, bead or spin balancing? If I go with online tires where they come to me to install I guess it will only be the bead option. 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:02 AM, dl_racing427 said:

My next tire change I'm going with Centramatics or similar balancers.
I have tire equipment and I rebalance the tires on my cars once a year or so, but these things are just too heavy to be doing that myself. LOL

What are others thoughts on the Centramatics? One friend was of the opinion bead balancing for motorhomes is not ideal since they sit so much of the time and the beads will migrate while sitting.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

I have Centramatics on the front & I love them.

I'm not sure what the friend means by the beads migrating, but I'd say absolutely they migrate,  they drop to the bottom while stopped same as the balls in my Centramatics.   That's what they do, they are free to move around, all the while rebalancing each revolution of the wheel

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 10:17 AM, saflyer said:

What are others thoughts on the Centramatics? One friend was of the opinion bead balancing for motorhomes is not ideal since they sit so much of the time and the beads will migrate while sitting.

I wonder too if the beads could bunch up some do to condensation in the tire?

19 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

I wonder too if the beads could bunch up some do to condensation in the tire?

This is a GENERAL COMMENT....based on my recollections and synopsis of "BEADS" in the past....covering over 14 years of being on the original site and also moderating for 12 or more....so I read or skimmed just about every post.  

• Dynabeads were or ARE the GOLD STANDARD and used by many here.  
  • One of the initial issues was plugging up the TPMS and folks started using the larger beads.  Dyna may have realized this and made changes.  There may have been a "filter" at one time.....but eventually, there were different diameters and folks homed in on one size. This was an issue, not a major complaint, but discussed a lot. The plugging problem has NOT been discussed or posted, to the best of my memory, in the past 8 plus years.
  • Many of the original Dynabead users have transitioned to the Centramatics.  They seem pleased with that. There are others.....but the Centramatics, based on my skimming seem to be the dominant one and has been used by folks that I trust.
  • Most of the comments that I personally have read as well as my own "emergency" tire purchase is that there are many "ME TOO" products or beads on the market.  VERY few of the tire shops I contacted knew or sold the name "DYNABEADS".  I discussed the options with a learned individual and we concluded.....NO NAME BEADS....which could clog up the TPMS and or have issues with the Tyron bands were NOT a good idea.
  • There has NOT, to the best of my knowledge, been any comments from Tyron band users about "clogging" or clumps of beads in the bands.
  • I chose SPIN BALANCING for my front tires.  That was based on several phone calls and emails with the "THEN" Bridgestone Commercial Tire Engineering Manager who was based in Nashville, circa 2012.  He moderated and answered questions on their "Tire Talk" or whatever website where individuals asked specific tire questions.
  • His advice to me, and he was also a motor home owner (Bounder 38 or so), was NOT to bother with the rear tires.  Spin Balance the fronts.  Bubble if that "turns you on" was his exact comment. That was based on extensive Bridgestone testing, he said, plus conversations at seminars and shows with other technical folks from other companies. Obviously as testing and technology advance, more accurate testing may give way to revising his "rule of thumb". 
  • My experience: I have not had any issues with spin balanced fronts and am on my third set...each one a different brand.  Now have Toyo's on.  Have had the OEM GY REARS, which WERE spin balanced.  The rear Bridgestone's were bubble balanced.  Two of the new Toyo's were bubble balanced.  However the inners are NOT as the long stem that extends through the hole in the outers.....would not work on their bubble balancer. I can't tell any difference and I drove the bubble balanced Bridgestone's and then immediately tested the Toyo's....so TWO Toyo's are NOT even bubble balanced....so that is what it is....  That is JUST MY SEAT OF THE PANTS OPINION....shared by my DW...

On 9/21/2023 at 11:17 AM, saflyer said:

MODERATOR'S NOTE.... There is an ongoing discussion about "Sumitomo Tires may have impacted Fuel Mileage" and it was operator error, leaving a fuel cap off that caused that...presumably.  The OP posted a topic on that.... Here is a link to it....so that everyone commenting or following will have a complete picture.  In retrospect....that topic probably should have been merged with this one....but the Moderating Staff can only catch and merge and such....as we are volunteers.  There is a note on doing research and not starting topic on a new item that is similar. 

We request that all members be courteous and note this before starting a new topic.  

Thanks...

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Replacement tire SUGGESTIONS and discussion.....
  • 5 months later...