106300008 Bushes Monroe Absorber

Diplomatdriver
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

• Solution

Your specific PN seems to be out of stock in usual places but If you can reuse the metal pieces, just find a correct diameter bushing. It's is called shock 'stem bushing' and you may find a polyurethane version for life. I doubt you would notice the stiffness of polyurethane in this application. I just did the same for someone's truck a couple days ago and the shocks were still perfectly good along with the bottom bushings. Energy Suspension has a listing with dimensions and might be on Amazon. https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-shock-eyes.asp

Screenshot_20230916-110140-589.png

I agree with Don that the original Monroe shocks are likely worn out. You suggest you try http://shockwarehouse.com.  They might sell just the bushing. Another very helpful site is https://sourcerv.com

I think both places will likey try to sell you new shocks, but it’s worth a try. 

Here is the test.  Now I had the Source Bilstein.  But that is a regular Bistein, sos the compression or the rebound will be approximately the same. The Source shock’s have different valving, so the response timing as well as the number of oscillations will be different.

Pulled off my OEM Monroes.  The were so weak that they porpoised and made you want to throw up.  Think a bobble head.

Get a bathroom scale.  Put a board or a block of wood so when you push down on the board, you get the force spread out.  Mine barely measured, with a shock on the board and me leaning over and pushing, uniformly down….20 - 25 pounds on the scale.  The Bilstein was in the 80 - 90 range.

OK.  NOW, you can hold the Monroe in your hand.  Squeeze the ends together….you know what that measures….then pull apart the shock…probably gonna be close to the push together force. Thus, I had (combining 2 shocks on each wheel) maybe 50 pounds of dampening….but with 2 new Bilsteins, I have at least 160 pounds..

Odds are very high….your Monroes are like that.  Run the test….pretty essy to see the difference….with just your arms…but you can actually measure on a bathroom scale.

You should definitely change out the Monroe shocks.  The Monroe’s on my 2012 Diplomat were terrible at 35,000 miles.  I went with Bilstein.  They made a big difference in ride quality.  
I did have problems locating the correct part numbers.  I got the number of the shock and couldn’t locate it on the Monroe website.  I emailed them and they gave me 2 different part numbers and neither one of them was the correct shock.  You might want to check the parts list and see if your shocks are listed - mine were not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Call Source engineering and get the best shocks you can.  Labor to install is the same on a cheap shock as the slightly more expensive model.  Several members of our Monaco club have upgraded/replaced our shocks using the Source Engineering Bilsteins and every one of us has been very impressed with the results.  Many members have said their coach never road or handled as well .