Roadmaster S-Series Suspension Air Spring/Air Bag Replacement

4 minutes ago, ktloah said:

Excellent tutorial Mike.  I am going to start this process in the spring and follow you on u-tube and enjoy your videos...thank you!

Thanks Robbie.  Hope the tutorial is helpful.  It's not a terrible task, but it sure is a dirty one.  🤣

Great Info Mike, thanks for taking the time to document everything so well.

I replaced 7 of my 10 air bags. When I got to the back drivers side, the rear one (as I recall) it appeared to be a big challenge, and when I saw the tax axle air bags, I said: "I'll let someone else do those, gee wiz they looked hard to do!

Thanks

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Great Info Mike, thanks for taking the time to document everything so well.

I replaced 7 of my 10 air bags. When I got to the back drivers side, the rear one (as I recall) it appeared to be a big challenge, and when I saw the tax axle air bags, I said: "I'll let someone else do those, gee wiz they looked hard to do!

Thanks

Yeah, the tags look terrible at first glance but it only takes a few minutes to remove the lower control arms, one side only at a time obviously, then it goes much easier.

I watched a video last week and the guy used a sawsall to cut the threaded studs off the old bags to get them off. He was able to get the blade in between the bag and plate to get this done. Is there any reason that this is not an acceptable way to easily remove the old bags?

Mike,

Love all your videos . Have followed you for awhile on the other Monaco site. So glad you are on Bill D' Monacoers. I am very appreciative of all the information you provide. Ready to start on my Air Dryer and hopefully Air bags later.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Doug and Nicki said:

I watched a video last week and the guy used a sawsall to cut the threaded studs off the old bags to get them off. He was able to get the blade in between the bag and plate to get this done. Is there any reason that this is not an acceptable way to easily remove the old bags?

I guess you could cut the studs off, but mine actually came apart so easily that it would take much more time to cut them than unbolt them. Most of mine once I broke them loose I could get an air ratchet or impact on them and they zipped out fairly quickly. 

Also, and this is just a personal reason, I don't like to cut things apart when disassembling as I like to evaluate them once apart and more importantly, I like to use the removal process as a precursor to the installation process.  I've been this way my entire career and avoid destructive disassembly as much as possible.

16 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Great stuff Mike!  Pinned as suggested. 

Thanks.  Hopefully it will help others as this seems to be more and more of a popular repair lately as these coaches age.

I had a couple nuts where I had no leverage to break them loose with only couple of fingers that could reach the wrench and when I positioned an airgun on them, I could not reach its trigger. Ended up tying the trigger and had my son connect the other end of hose while I held the gun. The nut was out in fraction of a second. Whatever works...

• Like 1

Good explaination! That’s about what I did, but my jack stands aren’t tall enough to do it exactly the same way.  I have hydraulic jacks so I drove up on ramps made of 3 layers of 2X lumber then placed blocks under the jacks and dumped the air. I removed the nuts holding the air bags and air connections, then raised the jacks to clear the air bags and put blocking between the frame and axle. I had plenty of room to remove and replace the air bags. 

Edited by dennis.mcdonaugh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zmotorsports said:

Sorry, I deleted it a couple of years ago.

I am unclear about the location of your jack stands;  did you do all four corners at one time or just the front, then the rear;  I understand the procedure with the 3 ton jack just unclear about the jack stands.

Thanks,  Bob L, 08 dynasty

Mike, I always amazed at the people that are ready to criticize how someone like you did it.

I'm equally amazed that I didn't get any criticism of how I did my rear suspension repair myself. Probably just don't have enough followers for anyone to take me seriously. Anyway good to see you on this site. Take care.

Greg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

Good explaination! That’s about what I did, but my jack stands aren’t tall enough to do it exactly the same way.  I have hydraulic jacks so I drove up on ramps made of 3 layers of 2X lumber then placed blocks under the jacks and dumped the air. I removed the nuts holding the air bags and air connections, then raised the jacks to clear the air bags and put blocking between the frame and axle. I had plenty of room to remove and replace the air bags. 

I don't have hydraulic jacks to work with so on one hand I don't have that fuss or components to have to work around but on the other, one less option.  The way you did it will work well too, but you still had to contend with the tires/wheels being on the coach.  Having the tires/wheels out of the equation was a game changer in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Bobbyboy said:

I am unclear about the location of your jack stands;  did you do all four corners at one time or just the front, then the rear;  I understand the procedure with the 3 ton jack just unclear about the jack stands.

Thanks,  Bob L, 08 dynasty

I had the entire coach off the ground so I could remove all tires/wheels.  I had two 22-ton jackstands at the rear of coach engaged with the frame rails and two 22-ton jackstands at the front engage with the frame rails just behind the steer axle.  I fabricated extra tall inserts for two of my 22-ton jackstands which allowed them to reach up to the front frame rails and cradle the tube framework just behind the steer axle.  The only awkward part was them being so tall I had to slide them under the coach lying down and then right them vertically in position.  It wasn't too terribly hard but more awkward trying to manhandle them upright.

4 hours ago, Ken Smith said:

Mike,

Great advice..... I have have been doing airbags this way for years. It's a lot easier this way to access everything without becoming a contortionist.

I so agree.  This was the first set of air springs I had done this way because others have just been one or two here and there.  This was much easier on the body. 😏

4 hours ago, PTTech said:

Mike, I always amazed at the people that are ready to criticize how someone like you did it.

I'm equally amazed that I didn't get any criticism of how I did my rear suspension repair myself. Probably just don't have enough followers for anyone to take me seriously. Anyway good to see you on this site. Take care.

Greg

Thanks for the welcome Greg, and I agree.  I don't understand the criticism from people when all I was trying to do was help and show them an easy, or easier, way to perform the task.  

I have gotten equal criticism almost any time I have welded something on the coach which is often why I just don't show it.  I get comments like "are you certified to perform that repair?"  Are you $@#!ting me???  Certified in what exactly?  I've worked as an industrial maintenance mechanic and automotive mechanic my entire life and have just seen what needs to be done and find a way to do it.  I guarantee my welds are at least as good and solid and anything else on this coach.  People have gotten so wrapped up in the whole legal aspect and political correctness in our society that they have forgotten how to think for themselves and definitely how to do anything for themselves.  Now that being said, I do think there are people that probably shouldn't touch some jobs as I've seen their welds.  🤣

I was almost tarred and feathered when I showed how I corrected the thrust angle by shortening my control arms on the driver's side and welding them back together.  

• Like 3

Mike,

Glad to see you are still sharing. Please don't take down your FASS install video... that's a summer project for me...

I'd like to summarize my questions to understand your process.  I'll underline the questions....

You used 4ea 22 ton jack stands (2 front & 2 rear) for the whole process?  I don't think my 22ton stand bases are as tall as yours, so I think I'll have to make longer supports.  Will you share what schedule tubing you used?

** Since I only have 2 stands, could the rear be "blocked" up - finish all the front bag R&R, then move to the back?  "Block" front & use stands in rear?

AIR concern..  You say to raise the bags as high as possible then support house w/ jack stands (I assume in the center as much as possible)?  Once you get the "H-frame" supported, do you then release all the air from the system?  I didn't read how you managed air release.

Tire removal - did you only remove 1 wheel/tire from one corner at a time, change bag, and install wheel/tire?  

Thanks again Mike, I've enjoyed learning from your updates/upgrades!

Kurt

23 hours ago, zmotorsports said:

I have gotten equal criticism almost any time I have welded something on the coach which is often why I just don't show it.  I get comments like "are you certified to perform that repair?"  Are you $@#!ting me???  Certified in what exactly?  I've worked as an industrial maintenance mechanic and automotive mechanic my entire life and have just seen what needs to be done and find a way to do it.  I guarantee my welds are at least as good and solid and anything else on this coach.  People have gotten so wrapped up in the whole legal aspect and political correctness in our society that they have forgotten how to think for themselves and definitely how to do anything for themselves.  Now that being said, I do think there are people that probably shouldn't touch some jobs as I've seen their welds.  🤣

I was almost tarred and feathered when I showed how I corrected the thrust angle by shortening my control arms on the driver's side and welding them back together.  

Some people just can't grasp the fact there are those of us out there that can look at one of these kits of loosely assembled parts and really not be phased by any of it, whether it be the engine, suspension system, HVAC,, or the A/C and D/C electrical systems.  It's just parts, most of them are pretty d*** basic, and more than likely most of it was designed and assembled by folks that really didn't have a clue how the whole machine functioned after it was fully built.

Been watching your posts and vids for a LONG time, on the Garage Journal pages and most of your YouTube vids as well. I have the same background and close to the same careers, so I get it.  Keep up the good work and don't let the occasional clown deter you.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MHRookie said:

Mike,

Glad to see you are still sharing. Please don't take down your FASS install video... that's a summer project for me...

I'd like to summarize my questions to understand your process.  I'll underline the questions....

You used 4ea 22 ton jack stands (2 front & 2 rear) for the whole process?  I don't think my 22ton stand bases are as tall as yours, so I think I'll have to make longer supports.  Will you share what schedule tubing you used?

** Since I only have 2 stands, could the rear be "blocked" up - finish all the front bag R&R, then move to the back?  "Block" front & use stands in rear?

AIR concern..  You say to raise the bags as high as possible then support house w/ jack stands (I assume in the center as much as possible)?  Once you get the "H-frame" supported, do you then release all the air from the system?  I didn't read how you managed air release.

Tire removal - did you only remove 1 wheel/tire from one corner at a time, change bag, and install wheel/tire?  

Thanks again Mike, I've enjoyed learning from your updates/upgrades!

Kurt

Kurt, I don't have any pictures of them assembled.  I used 3" x 3/8" wall thickness steel tubing to slide into the jack stand bases.

I cut a slight V in the top and bent another piece of .375" thick plate to act as a saddle and welded the saddles into the V notch of the tubing.

extension1.thumb.jpg.fd3455b6406177fd8b8851537dccbdf0.jpg

extension2.thumb.jpg.99fbc4776402402d048ec061d74e8e2f.jpg

When the extensions are inserted into the jack stands they make for a very solid and stable support for the front end of the coach.  The caveat is that these won't bode well if on any kind of angle so the floor/ground must be perfectly level because if any side load I wouldn't trust them.

I found placing them directly behind the steer axle provides a nice solid connection point with the frame rails of the coach and allow the front H-frame to move up/down as needed without any interference from the jack stand extensions.  For the rear, I just use the standard 22-ton jack stands with the original inserts/extensions and grab up under near the engine that is all reinforced below the frame rails.

I have four (4) total of the 22-ton jack stands so I place them and then dump the air using the HWH controller, then dump the tanks.  Even then there are some check valves that will retain a small amount of air but once you remove an air line that last bit escapes.  Just don't take chances and make 100% certain that everything is solid and secure.

As for tire/wheel removal, although I've had all the tires/wheels off our coach at the same time before, when I replaced the air springs I just removed both fronts, replaced the air springs, then moved to the rear and removed drives, replaced the four drive axle air springs, then moved to the tag.    If you only have two of the heavy jack stands that is one way you could do it but make sure you have the opposite end supported properly by something other than just the air springs, such as some cribbing between the H-frames and frame rails.

49 minutes ago, Tdkkart said:

Some people just can't grasp the fact there are those of us out there that can look at one of these kits of loosely assembled parts and really not be phased by any of it, whether it be the engine, suspension system, HVAC,, or the A/C and D/C electrical systems.  It's just parts, most of them are pretty d*** basic, and more than likely most of it was designed and assembled by folks that really didn't have a clue how the whole machine functioned after it was fully built.

Been watching your posts and vids for a LONG time, on the Garage Journal pages and most of your YouTube vids as well. I have the same background and close to the same careers, so I get it.  Keep up the good work and don't let the occasional clown deter you.

Tom

Thanks Tom.  I appreciate that.  It's funny because it seems people like us look at something and just make a plan, then execute the plan, whereas many people simply cannot grasp the concept as you said.  

I'm not saying I'm any better or not based on what someone does for a living, it's just interesting the way our minds work.  I will say I don't go around throwing rocks at what others do or criticize their techniques when I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I just try to stay in my lane and do what I do to the best of my ability and hope my works stands out from the masses in my field.

• Like 2

Mike - a GREAT write up & I really appreciated the photos & advice! I'm very envious of your having the shop space & time to take on such necessary projects! Keep the write ups coming! Many Thanks!

Bart from VA

• Like 1