SHARP MICROWAVE BLOWING FUSES

Rob Monda

My Sharp carousel microwave keeps blowing the internal fuse. I am thinking of changing the unit because it is the original and approximately 18 years old at this point. Does anyone know if the upper wood trim panel pop off like some of the other trim panels in the kitchen. I figured I would ask before taking apart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Shouldn't have to remove any upper panel if it is installed like all of the other older Sharp microwaves.

Remove the two grease screens. You should now have access to the head of a very long bolt that secures the microwave to the rear mounting plate. You may also have two hidden screws that need to be removed, one on each side of the microwave . You need to look up into the same opening where the screens were removed. Look closely on each side to see if there are any sheet metal screws holding the sides of the microwave to the adjacent cabinets.

Have another person ready when everything has been removed as that microwave is very heavy. Slowly lower the front to a padded cover on your counter. The lift the back edge off of the back plate, plus unplug the unit before lowering to the counter.

• Like 2

Ours had sheet metal screws from the top and both sides. Not easily accessible without taking out false walls and bunch of stuff. I slid a metal cutting blade into the space to feel them and cut off.

I also had sheet metal screws on each side.   Monaco ran them into the wood on  each side.   There are also the 2 sharp screws at an angle that hold it to the mount.   I had the same issue last year and the parts to fix  it were less than $10 on amazon.   19 years old and still cooking!

• Like 2

After reviewing some of the info you guys passed along I took a good look at it this morning. I tried two fuses powered it up and turned on with the carousel off. The machine made a growling sound and then blew the internal fuse again. It was manufactured in 2004 so I think it is time to change. It looks like there are two screws where the grease filters are. I do not see any screws going thru the top of the unit. I am going to try and remove today. Thanks for all of the input

MW2.jpg

MW1.jpg

MW3.jpg

rv.jpg

The general rule of thumb….fuses blow….UH OH.  Most replace the diode(s) and fuses….

Past that, probably the main power supply board or the transformer……if not…magnetron….

Some have repaired after following Youtube videos.  Some shops that work on commercial units will  maybe fix…..otherwise…REPLACE.

I got an exact replacement for mine at Home Depot a few years back.

OK so yesterday I removed it with no difficulty. It had the two screws under the grease filters as Dr4film had said and there were two square head screws attaching microwave to cabinets. It came right out.  After watching some youtube out came the multi meter and I checked the start cap which I believe is shorted. I ordered yesterday and we will see if that corrects the issue. The unit itself is pretty clean so I figured I would try to fix. I am seeing replacement cost up around $600. I did have a problem with my rear AC blowing fuses and that also turned out to be a power cap. Pretty easy to change just have to be careful with high voltage. Part should be here tomorrow and I will keep you posted. Thanks

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

cap3.jpg

• Like 1

Just repaired my Sharp R1850 A 

Loud growling sound,after youtube (and learning more then i ever wanted to know about a microwave) I did the tests and it was the magnetron. It took a little searching to find a replacement #,but got one on Amazon $45 works great now

Always  fun LOL

4 hours ago, Lawrence F said:

Loud growling sound,after youtube (and learning more then i ever wanted to know about a microwave) I did the tests and it was the magnetron. It took a little searching to find a replacement #,but got one on Amazon $45 works great now

Always  fun LOL

It would be great if you could post links to the YouTube videos...  We could probably find them, but since you've been there... 🙂

I ordered a new Sharp R1874T 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave, 1.1 Cubic Feet in Stainless Steel for $648 delivered to replace my existing Sharp R-1850A that has been having some issues. Mine was built in 2001 and installed in my 2003 coach. 

HR microwave1.jpg

HR microwave2.jpg

HR microwave3.jpg

On 3/20/2024 at 9:07 AM, Lawrence F said:

Always  fun LOL

Here is one of many youtube videos I watched and the most important thing they said was that the capacitor can kill !!  2000+volts AC

Just finished re-installing microwave. I changed the start capacitor and it started right up. Pretty easy getting back in I put the unit on a milk crate on top of the counter and was able the angle the back up in to bracket then lift the front and screw in the mounting screws.The part cost me $54 including shipping from repair clinic. On to the next problem. Thanks for all the help