Roof AC replacement recommendation

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

Going to replace both roof AC on 2004 Executive. I want to try to keep it simple using (KISS) method. LOL. These are the 3 units I was considering of using.

All units 15 K with heat pump, Blizzard NXT, Penguin II and Brisk II. I'll also be replacing the 4 buttons thermostat with the new CCC 2. 
Right now, I'm leaning toward the Blizzard NXT for more air flow 350 CFM. Thanks in advance for the advice! 

• Solution

I purchased the Blizzard NXT last fall for the same reason, higher CFM.  They are only a couple inches taller, but it allows for larger condensing and evaporator coils, which in turn allows for higher CFM.  Plus Wal-Mart had them on sale for $1,000.  I haven't installed it yet, planning to do so this Spring.  If I recall, my research showed that you do not need to make any modifications when replacing a Penguin II.   If you get the NXT I'll be interested to find out how it goes.

7 minutes ago, Bill R said:

I purchased the Blizzard NXT last fall for the same reason, higher CFM.  They are only a couple inches taller, but it allows for larger condensing and evaporator coils, which in turn allows for higher CFM.  Plus Wal-Mart had them on sale for $1,000.  

That sounds like a really good price Bill!

Was that for heat pumps, or just AC?

1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

That sounds like a really good price Bill!

Was that for heat pumps, or just AC?

Ben - 15K Heat pump.  Yes I couldn't believe it.  Included shipping to my house.   I have a very old DuoTherm that I figure I might as well just go ahead and replace at that price.  Walmart still has this price for the Black cover.  The sale I got was for the white cover which always seems to be more expensive.  I guess supply vs demand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dometic-Blizzard-NXT-Air-Conditioner-Heat-Pump-Mid-Profile-Rooftop-Multi-Zone-AC-CCC-II-control-board-15k-BTU-Black-Unit-RVs-Trailers/294591839?from=/search

Thanks Ben, just order 2 units. Look like you Ivan K and I are all neighbors. I now live in Trenton which is 20 miles east of Messila on SH121. 

4 hours ago, planodp said:

Thanks Ben, just order 2 units. Look like you Ivan K and I are all neighbors. I now live in Trenton which is 20 miles east of Messila on SH121. 

Duey - What are your current units you are replacing?

I used Penguin 2s. I had to change both thermostats. The heat pump operation is wonky in the front unit. It also controls the furnace. I used to be able to select A/C, furnace or heat pump. Now I can only select heat or A/C. When heat is selected, the furnace or heat pump comes on, depending on the difference between ambient temp and selected temp. If there’s a big gap, the furnace comes on. Once the gap is smaller the furnace goes off and heat pump comes on. 

I replaced both units in 2021.  I had already replaced the motor on the front unit in 2015 but the rear unit started to act up, making noise, so I tried to find a new motor without success.  So just opted to change both 20 year old units.  At the time PPL had the best prices and I talked to rep there to confirm fitment.   He said I'd have to change to a 10 button thermostat, but I decided to go with the Micorair Easy touch.   I opted to go from 13.5K  BTU units to 15K units.  At the time I paid $2717 for both units delivered.  If you can buy new units for $1000 you got a smoking deal. 

I had previously replaced both drain cups but you need two gaskets for a new AC unit to elevate the AC's to be able use the drain cups.  When I replaced them the old cups were extremely brittle so I'd recommend replacing.   I was able to transfer the newer cups to the new AC's 

Prior to install I bought a remote camera and was able to inspect the entire duct length, glad I did, found several mouse holes but also found one duct joint that had never been taped/sealed from the factory.   I think this really helped as far as cooling capacity, after AC's were installed I can get by with one AC unless temps get above 85F. 

Install was fairly straight forward.  Took lots of picture including pictures of the dip switches and wiring.  The new AC's came with some sort of plug, I just cut it off and hard wired, but it may pay to buy the female portion and do the plug and play on the AC units. 

The AC's use a slip joint to attach the AC to the duct work.  I found it easier to go ahead and cut out a hole in the duct work from where the filter is located, this allowed me to install the slip joint easier, make sure it was sealed.  I then just taped up the piece I cut out.    At some point I could tell the rear AC had been previously removed and who ever did it just ripped the AC/slip joint out of the duct work and just set it back down crushing the duct work significantly reducing air flow/efficiency.   I had previously fixed this when I changed gaskets.  So just a word of warning. 

The Microair thermostat was plug and play, plugged it in and got the units to work.  Took some time to figure out the wifi and bluetooth feature BUT I really like the ability to check/change temps.  

My wife travels with dogs and she has a trip planned this summer so I'm going to put a Visible hotspot/wifi connection in the RV so she can check remotely PLUS the thermostat will send alerts if temps are out of limits.   I also have a EC30W AGS so if for some reason she looses shore power the generator will start if temps in coach gets too high.  

We changed the original dometics on our 06 Navigator over to Blizzards and new thermostats last year.  The electronics were pretty much plug and play.  Just need to be sure your dip switches are right.

Things we ran into:  the 4 holes that the bolts go through to hold a/c to roof were different, we had to fabricate the aluminum ductwork that attaches to the a/c and ductwork going through the roof, as the way the air comes out the Blizzard is different than the Dometic.

Dometic does have a drip kit for the Blizzard.  You will need a second set of gaskets to accommodate the drip pans.

it certainly wasn’t as easy as I figured it would be, but I am glad we did it.

The Dometic we replaced-630516-321

On 4/1/2024 at 6:35 AM, lake49068 said:

Whatever the selection, make sure they connect to the condensation drain tubes or you will have water running onto and off the roof.  Drain cups are an option on the Penguins.

Got 2 new one from Ebay. Thanks

I have 3 a/c's and my middle one is not heating or cooling as the others. I had read somewhere in the past but cant find article that when having 3 that 2 of them that are running off the same themostat there are some wiring that is interconnected. With that the article sited that only a few a/c can be used without major wiring issue. is anyone familiar with this and if so which a/c could i use? I run the Micro Air Easy thouch thermostats . 2007 dynasty

Edited by bryan browne

The Blizzard has 4 bolts that do not align with the existing Penguin bolt pattern and is several inches taller. Make sure to get both the CCC-2 controller and thermostat, some people try to convert the older electrics, but my installer never got it to work correctly. Neither unit comes with a control board, but some folks claim they do. Check ahead of time to make sure.

10 hours ago, Capt. Tango said:

The Blizzard has 4 bolts that do not align with the existing Penguin bolt pattern and is several inches taller. Make sure to get both the CCC-2 controller and thermostat, some people try to convert the older electrics, but my installer never got it to work correctly. Neither unit comes with a control board, but some folks claim they do. Check ahead of time to make sure.

Eric - can you expound a little more about "Neither unit comes with a control board"?  The specs for the Blizzard NXT say that the unit has a built in  control board that works only with the CCC-2.  Are you referring to the conversion board needed to work with the older 5 button T-Stat.

They work fine if you upgrade to the new style thermostat.  I did not have to change or mess with a controller.  Maybe i got lucky.  I just installed the new thermostat and they seem to be happy. 

Edited by Greg G

Bill,

Mt comment was for the following

Dometic Penguin II RV Air Conditioner - without any heat source 15K
640316CXX1J0 - Black

Dometic Thermostats
3314082.011 CCC 2 - White

Dometic Electronic Control Kit

Soft Starter

SpartanStart RV A/C Soft Starter up to 20K BTU 

I purchased the Brisk Air but found out it does not match the existing Penguin II bolt pattern.

• Thanks 1