Balance tire & wheel or not

MHRookie

Balance Masters on the rear dualies, Dyna Beads in the steer tires. When the steers need to replaced again they will have a set of Balance Masters installed also.

When the rears were replaced the cost for a set of Dyna Beads plus shipping would have been $125. The set of Balance Masters from Josam's in Orlando was $220 installed so that was a no brainer to go with the Balance Masters for less than $100 more. The Balance Masters are lifetime and can be switched to other coaches whereas the Dyan Beads need to be replaced eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Balance Masters on the rear dualies, Dyna Beads in the steer tires. When the steers need to replaced again they will have a set of Balance Masters installed also.

When the rears were replaced the cost for a set of Dyna Beads plus shipping would have been $125. The set of Balance Masters from Josam's in Orlando was $220 installed so that was a no brainer to go with the Balance Masters for less than $100 more. The Balance Masters are lifetime and can be switched to other coaches whereas the Dyan Beads need to be replaced eventually.

Josam's always treat you good.

20201215_091208.jpg

I've always had mine spun balanced, then weights added.

Here's a head scratcher :classic_blink:! Had my steers replaced while traveling thru Or. Can recall see'ing at least one of the new tires yellow dot on the sidewall, lined up perfectly with the valve stem after the wheels were mounted on the coach. Headed down the road right after the tire change. At a rest stop a few hours later, I notice neither new tire has the yellow dot closer than 6" from the valve stem!

No hard braking happened during the drive.

I have had a speed related vibration issue ever since I put on new tires (Toyo 295/80r22.5).  I have a set of Centramatic balancers, so I did NOT have them spin balanced.  Because of the vibration issue, I finally took it back to the dealer and had the tires spin balanced.  One of the rear inner tires would have required over a pound of lead weights to bring it into balance (I replaced the tire).  If I would have had the tires initially balanced, it would have saved me a lot of trouble and headache as I could have rejected that tire initially.  There is no way the Centramatic balancers could compensate for that much off balance in a tire.  So, lesson learned.  The next time I replace tires, I will have them spin balanced if for no other reason than to verify that they are all within reasonable tolerances.

Richard 

46 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Here's a head scratcher :classic_blink:! Had my steers replaced while traveling thru Or. Can recall see'ing at least one of the new tires yellow dot on the sidewall, lined up perfectly with the valve stem after the wheels were mounted on the coach. Headed down the road right after the tire change. At a rest stop a few hours later, I notice neither new tire has the yellow dot closer than 6" from the valve stem!

Here is a way to stop it if you have a heavy foot. Just a joke, don't do it! LOL 

IMG_3203.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/26/2020 at 1:50 PM, 96 EVO said:

This happens on my higher powered street cars, mostly on the rears.
It also happens on my race car, both front and rear, though in opposite directions.
I mark the tires at the stem, and re-balance whenever they've moved more than an inch or so.

I'm surprised to see that on a coach.  It could be related to the tire mounting lubricant not being dried yet. 
Mark them and keep an eye on it to see if they stop moving.

2 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

I'm surprised to see that on a coach.  It could be related to the tire mounting lubricant not being dried yet. 

This was the only thing I could come up with as well! I could see it 'possibly' happening if I had made a real hard panic stop, but that didn't happen.

115psi in the front tires, you would think would hold the bead firmly in place!

On 12/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, MHRookie said:

I’d like your feedback....

I have centramatics installed on each axle AND each wheel/tire balanced w/weights.

Do you other centramatic users do the same or rely totally on them for balancing?

I rely on my balance masters totally. The instructions tell you to remove any weights when you put on the disks.

If you spend the money to balance them and then use the disks you are wasting money. I’m not sure why you would put disks one tires that are already balanced ? 

bill g 06 dynasty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hotrod said:

I rely on my balance masters totally. The instructions tell you to remove any weights when you put on the disks.

If you spend the money to balance them and then use the disks you are wasting money. I’m not sure why you would put disks one tires that are already balanced ? 

bill g 06 dynasty

Up a little early there Bill. Of course who am I to talk since we are only one hour ahead of you.🙂

Good morning all.

I dont know for certain?

But we have always purchased high quality truck tires for our semis and rv's .

Ive never run rv specific tires.

Maybe thats why we never had to balance them.

I think in 50 years Michelin replaced 1 tire that was out of specs.

some years  we buy 40 to 50 new truck tires.

so far, no vibrations, no uneven ware.

we do spend $$$s and time to maintain the chassis, drive trains.

Its 55 here in the Daytona beach area this Monday am.

It was 50 at 4:30 when we made coffee.

The poor puppy still loves the heated tile floors.

Our daughter and 3 grandchildren are flying in from Columbus Ohio today.

For a 10 day visit.

And much warmer weather.

20201227_112022.jpg

20200625_121623.jpg

20200625_130153.jpg

Guest Ray Davis

I knew that tires would slip on the rim/wheel on drag cars but never imagined that they would slip on motorhomes.  If they do slip then wouldn't that make a strong case  for Balance Masters, Centramatics, or beads?   Wouldn't slipping soon upset any balancing with weights while the other 3 methods would never know they slipped and would just rebalance each time as usual?  

I never got rid of my out of balance vibrations until I had the tires balanced on "Hunter's GSP9700 Road Force Vibration Control System"

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite/#vision

In one operation, it tests for out of balance and out of round conditions.  I first discovered this machine while reading Ford's TSB covering the 2000 F-53 chassis explaining how to solve out of balance conditions.  I believe it's the finest wheel balancer on the market.

You can find who has one near you using this website:  https://www.hunter.com/find-equipment/?

(disclaimer: I have no connection to the company)

Edited by Moonwink

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I had them in all six tires of my Windsor for many years until 2019 when I went to replace the four drive tires I switched over to Balance Masters as the cost was only a little bit more than the Dyna Beads with shipping to my house in Florida. My steers were replaced in 2017 and still have Dyna Beads in them but once they need changing I will have Balance Masters installed.