Surge protectors

snowman

Just wondering if anyone runs a surge protector and what brand, on previous camper 30 amp only bought a protector, with new camper its a 50 amp was going to purchase 1 50 and have 1 of each for different electrical sites if I remember it's a bluetooth bulldog type, 2003 HR imperial 

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

Just wondering if anyone runs a surge protector and what brand, on previous camper 30 amp only bought a protector, with new camper its a 50 amp was going to purchase 1 50 and have 1 of each for different electrical sites if I remember it's a bluetooth bulldog type, 2003 HR imperial 

The de facto standard, at least for a lot of old “buggy whip experts” is the Progressive HW50C.  That is a built in or installed inline, prior to the ATS.  It has a remote (phone cord connected) display.  It has saved more folks than (Fill in the Blank”.  The Surge Guards were popular.  The owner of Progressive was a former long time Surge Guard Field rep and their management was not keen on going into really useful functions.  The unit is simple,  two PCB and a contactor.  You can swap a board in 5 minutes.  Progressive was bought out, so the original lifetime warranty and such is not as good.  Last time I checked, it was still made in Apex, NC…a few miles from me.  I knew the original owner and he was great.  
Prices vary…shop around. There has never been a report of a failure or damage.  It has saved me several times where the CG swore up and down things were great…no complaints.  Except there was only 95 VAC on line 1 of the 50 amp service as there were 25 TT with 30 amp put on that circuit.  The other was when I bumped my power cord end and just a gentle tap killed the neutral.  Others have had same problems.  Losing a neutral is the worst case scenario.  The Line 1 & 2 then “have to copulate”….and they start to make a circuit.  You will get upwards of 175 VAC on each leg…and will fry LED’s and such.  One individual ran it for a day and ended up with a $10K bill and his insurance and the CG’s finally figured out how to replace his AC’s, microwave, etc.  I think it toasted his 120VAC element in the water heater.

supposedly…the new surge guards will offer protection, but they are not field serviceable.  If you take a voltage hit or spike, the MOS will absorb. The MOS are replaceable on the Progressive.  Do some comparisons.  I had a practically new external .Surge Guard and replaced it with the inline.  Plus the convenience and not having to shield and lock up an external one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ditto on the Watch Dog. "The Hughes Power Watchdog Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector is a "smart" RV surge protector. It has Bluetooth connectivity so you can monitor live park power conditions on your smartphone using Hughes mobile app available on iOS and Android platforms. This allows you to wirelessly monitor voltage and current draw on your smartphone. It offers complete LED park power diagnostics with wireless fault alerts and you can set custom alert thresholds. The surge/spike unit is replaceable if you get hit by a large spike, so you won't need to replace the whole unit."  Congratulations on your new hobby.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

I guess I'm one of the "Buggy Whip Experts" who installed the 50 am hard wired Progressive Surge protector.  I have one display mounted outside that I can watch when I plug in and then I flip a switch that send it to a second display I have mounted in coach so I can periodically check on it during the day.  Normally I don't worry about it but I if notice fluctuations in voltage I start paying attention. 

I installed this after a near by lightening strike took out my EMS board.  It's caught multiple low voltage occurrences and several reverse polarity issues.

• Like 1

We have an inline 50A Progressive and it works well for us. When at home we have to make sure not to plug it into a GFI outlet as these devices do not like it. Recently we were moochdocking at our son’s house and he has a new 50A outlet that had not been used before. The device protected us from an open neutral fault. I am convinced it is a good investment.

• Like 1

Progressive  EMS HW50C.

Just installed a new one.  My old one was almost 20 years old. Board failure. They only had a few years of warranty back then. The new ones are version  # 9 with a lifetime warranty. But………. You have to get them from an authorized dealer. That way you will be sure of getting the version # 9 . Amazon is an authorized dealer. Got mine there . Be sure to keep a copy of the receipt. If  you shop around be careful. There are some sellers selling the old version #8 units. They will probably be fine but you won’t have a warranty. (My old unit was version #8).  The new unit is working great.  BTW, Progressive has very good technical assistance too. 
2000 Monaco Dynasty 40’  04Jeep Liberty Toad. 

Progressive HW50C hardwired with 2 displays… one in the electric cord bay; one on the information center inside.  

if I had to buy one today, I would buy the Hughes Power Watchdog with Bluetooth. That would allow me to monitor power to the coach remotely - and get alerts if it loses power - with my RV Whisper system.