City Water and Water fill Transfer Valve

brokenarrow1244

The outside green lever allows you to fill the on-board water tank while connected to the city water supply. The problem I have been having is that it is not shutting off completely.

The valve seems to allow a very small amount of water to leak through. Once the tank is full, it starts spilling out. I have been using the on-board water as a supply to lower the level and avoid the spillage and that is okay for a while. I suspect like many other things, it can get worse.

I have had no success locating a replacement. I took it off to get a better idea of what I need since searching does not turn up a replacement part that matches.

The valve is shown as Watts, number 0543. the configuration allows hose attachments from on-board PEX lines without any major rerouting, so I would really like to keep that and have a replacement that matches. This is a real PIA to gain access and requires removal of most everything in the wet well to get access. I had to reassemble since I could find nothing at Local Home Depot.

20221015_173648.jpg

20221020_105214.jpg

20221020_105224.jpg

20221020_123710.jpg

Some water fill valves are made by Swan industries. After years of service, they have a tendency to leak or like the one in my previous Windsor no longer move the diverter ball inside.

Their replacement is in the link that I posted below.

WSV150ST - Quick Water Fill – Swan Industries Inc

There are tons of 3-way valves available on the Internet. Finding an exact one will be a challenge but maybe you can find one even if the handle isn't exactly like what you have now.

I would also call Swan Industries directly as they may have just a valve replacement part available.

Swan Industries Inc

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1

I would think that you could unscrew the moving part that the handle goes on and replace the rubber part  (could just be packing) inside.

It's worth a shot.

Bill

Edited by Corkman

Bought mine at Home Depot or Lowes off the shelf. 

Sorry, no part number, too many years ago. Or minutes ago. 

I'd disassemble the valve and look for scaling, corrosion, broken / pitted rubber part, whatever.  Then a trip to Ace Hardware for a replacement o-ring, bushing, whatever.  (or Home Depot but less variety)

Or try McMaster Carr.  They have a catalog full of valves.  Grainger would be a second choice (but less inventory).

Save the handle, though.  One of mine was missing and couldn't find a replacement.  I finally found a close relative and filed the rectangular hole to fit. 

- bob

The DW and I spent 6 years full timing.  We traveled the 48 states from boarder to boarder, sea to sea.  We stayed in over 100 campgrounds.,  

When it came to water hook ups, the first thing I attached to the hose bib/water faucet was two water filters.  One a sediment filter and the other a carbon taste filter.  I used the set up that I purchased at Lowes.  I carried spare filters so when I needed to change the filter I had replacement cartridges.  The next Lowes I passed, I purchased replacements.  IMO that is the only way I had full control of the quality of water entering our coach.  Yes, our 2004 Windsor came with a built in dual cartridge filter. My water filter set up covered 99% of issues that entered our coach.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just an up date for now. Yes there are tons of valves to look at and in looking it really becomes a challenge to try to determine if I will find a valve that will fit in the same place and mount properly, and possibly operate the same as the original. Lots of them have levers the rotate to the rt. not many to the left, also mounting is a challenge.

I know I can make something work and find a valve to get the job done. But I want it to look and operate the same as the original... if possible. I ordered a valve and if it will work I will update  after I get it. Shipping is about another week away. THANK YOU you guys are awesome.

Mine is a Swan and it is mounted in it's own enclosure which then mounts on the wet bay panel.  When parked without hookups and with the water pump on it would drip out of the hose connector.  So I decided to take out/off and repair.  I bought the check valve that I provided a link to and I also bought a 3 way valve.  The 3 way valve was the right dimension but when I screwed the check valve into the threads it bottomed out.  No way would it seal so I put the new check valve in the old valve and that solved my problem. 

So getting the right valve is tricky, hopefully you will have better luck then me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 11:13 AM, jacwjames said:

Mine is a Swan and it is mounted in it's own enclosure which then mounts on the wet bay panel.  When parked without hookups and with the water pump on it would drip out of the hose connector.  So I decided to take out/off and repair.  I bought the check valve that I provided a link to and I also bought a 3 way valve.  The 3 way valve was the right dimension but when I screwed the check valve into the threads it bottomed out.  No way would it seal so I put the new check valve in the old valve and that solved my problem. 

So getting the right valve is tricky, hopefully you will have better luck then me. 

Which model Swan Valve did you get?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just feel a need to mention to the forum and many of the helpful posting participants. Be cautious, and review your applications as I have found some of these that are recommending and identifying water valves hat are not safe for potable water. Some of them have warnings that are clear, others require a little more attention. 

I do not drink the water but do use it for cooking and want to be sure the  valves are lead free. 

So far Swan is the clear best choice and has specifically stated they do not have any product that is not safe for use as a drinking water supply component.

• 5 months later...

I got the replacement from Swan, models prior to 2009, B54-021-KTZ 3 Way ball valve. After installing ( took about 3 hours) It seemed to be okay until I disconnected the supply source to the coach. The Swan valve will fill the on board tank, but when I use the onboard water pump, the water goes out of the shore line hose under pressure. If I move the fill valve lever, the only direction it allows to turn it stops water flow. also when in that position the holding tank water gravity drain out of the hose.

I also see that my old valve has  an "L" flow indicated and the new one does not. I think I got the wrong Valve.

Maybe there is something other than that but this is not the right opertaion.

20230506_122312.jpg

20230506_122301.jpg

My swan valve has a check valve to keep water pumping back when the water pump is on.

https://swanindustries.com/collections/retail-customer/products/copy-of-female-quick-disconnect

You can see the check valve on the left side of the swan valve

https://swanindustries.com/collections/retail-customer/products/copy-of-wsv150st-quick-water-fill

I found a slightly cheaper checkvalve option on Ebay

Guest Ray Davis

Jim is correct,  you have a classic symptom of a bad check valve.  I would have thought your new Swan valve came with a check valve,  but maybe not.   I'm almost certain your old Swan valve had one.  Unless you had the same problem of water pumping out of the hose previously then you can remove that old check valve and reuse it.  Could the check valve be still attached to the pipe?  

When mine did the same as yours I removed my ck valve and found a piece of rubber lodged inside which I removed.  I reinstalled my check valve and it has worked fine for several yrs.   As a temporary workaround,  screw a hose cap onto the end of your hose. 

Just an observation and side note. Your hose reel sends the hose from the bottom which causes a lot of friction and in my case frustration. That really bugged me.

I was able to turn my reel around so the hose comes off the top now and drops almost straight out the hole in the bay. Very smooth. 

I don't remember if the switch was just for retraction like my power cord reel was but in any case, it now powers in and out. 

I took a different approach when I had that check valve problem. Rather than trying to get up under the panel I just added a tee , a pressure relief valve (blue pipe) and a ball valve . Simple so when using the pump keep valve closed.

Roy   2003 Dynasty

20200510_123353.jpg

I did something similar when I owned the Windsor many years ago after the Swan Valve failed to work correctly. It would only allow water to flow using the City position, not the Fresh Water tank Fill position. I installed a custom-made water input system using a three-way valve plus a yellow ball valve on the Back Flush System.

The three-way valve would allow me to direct incoming water to either the coach or the back flush system. The yellow ball valve is there to minimize the amount of water draining back from the Vacuum Check Valve in the bathroom to the service bay. When preparing to travel, I remove the fixture and install end caps on the two openings plus close the small hatch on the floor.

I solved the problem of not having a quick way to fill the freshwater tank by installing a custom-made Auto-Fill System which worked great any time I was hooked to shore water.

No need to replace the failed Swan Valve!

Our current 06 Dynasty has a single shore water hookup plus two different ball valves in the service bay that controls when to fill the freshwater tank and when to back flush the Black Tank. When disconnecting shore water with the pump on, water comes out of the hose, bad or missing check valve. The hose end now has a Y-shut-off installed on the hose which stays there. When hooking up to shore water I like to have one extra spigot and one for the coach. This was a good way to accomplish both and eliminate the water leaking out of the hose when the pump is on.

I also plan to install a back flushing valve into the Grey Tank and a three-way valve as well just like I did with the Windsor which will allow me to choose which tank I want to back flush.

Service Bay--3.JPG

Back Flush System for Black & Grey Tanks.jpg

This is my previous 2002 Windsor. The black tank flush valve is original and came from the factory exactly like you see it. I simply disconnected the water line and installed the three-way valve, 1/2 inch water lines along with a new back flush valve in my grey tank on the left.

Those sensors are original also and work to this day. Had to do some taping to keep them in place. I added the SeeLevel Tank Level System with the display in the service bay.