Buckee's

Don't stop at Buckee's if you are in a motorhome towing. They are very RV unfriendly! I was able to straighten out the bent metal. does anyone know where I can get some replacement  rubber? We are staying at FMCA in Cincinnati.

Screenshot_20230512-213401_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230512-213415_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230512-213428_Gallery.jpg

Edited by trstaska
After thought

Could pretty much happen anywhere but I've never been to a Buckey's!!  Just built a new one near me, may have to take a ride in my car and see.

I had to add a skid mechanism on my coach.  The old house we lived at had a steep driveway, had trouble with both my Class C and the Windsor.  Class C had skids on the back already, added these to the rear using off the self stuff, one on both side.  I added it to protect my tow bar as it would drags in steep entrances.   Might be over kill but it's saved my bacon a number of time.  Drove out a lot in Flagstaff and there was a huge dip that I didn't see until I got too it and with the Jeep couldn't back up. 

I fastened 2" receiver to the bottom chassis rail using plats normally used to attach springs to trailer.  Used 2 plates one with 4 holes one with two, six 5/8" hard bolts total.   Then just added a double hitch, and the bottom roller is a mounted in a 2" tube.  Yes this all adds weight but I've never had a problem with my tow bar. 

Hitch Roller detail.jpg

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you need to replace the rubber...just redrill and refasten.

jacwjames,  but what happens when you do find a half curb that grabs the receiver front face (in front of the drag wheel) and rips the whole dang thing off?  Or, if your RV is going up a driveway incline, which drops the drag wheel receiver to the ground and you hook the curbing?

At a minimum, I would add a 45 degree ramp on the front side.  Just looks scary.  Maybe it's just the picture...

Is there a third receiver on the other side?  I think I see two drag wheels?

Edited by DavidL

Guest Ray Davis

Each Buckees or any other place is going to be different and some are pretty bad, especially for motor homes.   I saw a MOHO with the front sticking out in the street the hitch had dragged on concrete and the rear wheels would only spin.   What a predicament to find ones self in,  I was sure glad it wasn't me.

Edit                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Some yrs ago I replaced mine.  In a hurry, I bought a universal guard which I turned around ( the front had writing ) and trimmed to fit.

I think this is the one I bought. $121  https://www.campingworld.com/smart-solutions-ultra-guard-tow-guard-for-motorhomes-16-x-94-18601.html

Edited by Ray Davis

The black material the rock guard is made out from is prone to tear out at the bolt holes. The bolts need to be tight pinching the material.  Years ago mine started tearing out.  I realigned it and tightened it.  After another two years, I lost the mudguard. The only thing left was the top metal pieces and hangers. YIKES,

I ordered a new SS Monaco plate that has the threaded studs attached, with the backer plate from Future Sales. Next I went to a conveyer belt supply and bought some seven ply rubber belt. The backer plate with the bolt holes in it made for a good template for marking where to make holes in the new rubber. With a hammer and hole punch set, I made holes and bolted on the SS parts. Then I took the top piece, using it as a guide, cut the top profile, punched some more  holes and bolted that on. 

After that I never had another problem.  

Picture may be deceiving but the roller is about the same height of the lowest part of my tow bar.   Even going out of my new drive which is fairly flat it sometimes hits. 

Never caught anything yet but that doesn't mean it can't happen, the Flagstaff incident was the worst I had but I know the rollers took the brunt of the impact.  Might be a good idea to bevel the front leading edge of the lower portion. 

You know the saying S*** happens. 

• Like 1

A few years ago I saw a post on IRV2 about a supplier in Oregon but with memory what it is, the name escapes me. 

You could get a bed liner at Tractor Supply and cut from it what you need. It is steel thread reinforced rubber. 

I have been into Buc-ee's in Daytona, Fl (I-95), Florence, SC (I-95) and Robertsdale, AL (I-10) with our 45' Exec towing my F-150 (70 ft long).  Yeah they're a little tight but doable.  I just peruse the far outskirts of the parking lots for an empty area, which I can usually find.  I try an avoid any 'rush hour' times.  I did hit one at a bad time once (not sure which one) where there were no empty areas so after twice around I spotted and empty row of fuel pumps at the very end and pulled in there and parked.  After we came out with our meals I finally was able to pull over into an empty area close by.  Their parking lots have room but you just have to be cool dealing with the traffic.  I've found that generally everyone gets out of our way and smiles at our coach as we pass by. 🙂

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Could pretty much happen anywhere but I've never been to a Buckey's!!  Just built a new one near me, may have to take a ride in my car and see.

I had to add a skid mechanism on my coach.  The old house we lived at had a steep driveway, had trouble with both my Class C and the Windsor.  Class C had skids on the back already, added these to the rear using off the self stuff, one on both side.  I added it to protect my tow bar as it would drags in steep entrances.   Might be over kill but it's saved my bacon a number of time.  Drove out a lot in Flagstaff and there was a huge dip that I didn't see until I got too it and with the Jeep couldn't back up. 

I fastened 2" receiver to the bottom chassis rail using plats normally used to attach springs to trailer.  Used 2 plates one with 4 holes one with two, six 5/8" hard bolts total.   Then just added a double hitch, and the bottom roller is a mounted in a 2" tube.  Yes this all adds weight but I've never had a problem with my tow bar. 

Hitch Roller detail.jpg

Looks that could be really hard on the coach frame if it really connected with the pavement?

1 hour ago, saflyer said:

Looks that could be really hard on the coach frame if it really connected with the pavement?

Not going to lie, when it hit pulling out of the parking lot in AZ I felt it, but it definitely would have hit the tow bar.  Not sure what was the lessor of 2 evils. 

Normally I'll do everything I can to to avoid this type of situation.  I will even pull into a parking lot and drop the toad so I can have better access and maneuverability but in this case I was committed and could not disconnect without completely blocking traffic. 

It is what it is.

• Like 1

I go to Bucees in Daytona a lot (we have a place there and generally leave from our trips from there).  There is no problem getting in and out except sometimes, like others have said, when it is super busy (Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon mostly).  This particular Bucees typically has diesel for about 25 to 30 cents less than the other stations around there because they are competing with Sam's Club across the street.  The brisket is very good too.

Drove into the Buckees in NC on I-95. I drove right back out. There wasn't one parking space available anywhere for a car let alone a coach. With all the parking spots filled people in cars started parking in NON parking spots creating a big cluster. It was a complete mad house. I fuel at Love's almost exclusively at the truckers Island. I use my fuel card, get my discount and leave. No risk of getting boxed in or damage the coach on curbs, posts or other things. I like to make my fuel stops as quick as possible so I can get back on the road.

• Like 1

I probably should have clarified my original comment about visiting Buc-ee's a little better.  I only stop there for the sandwiches and snacks and not for diesel fuel.  The pumps at the Daytona location are way to tight to get through for us.  At the very far end of the line of pumps 'may' be doable but nothing I would want to try.  I plan ALL of our trips in advance using RV Trip Wizard and even use that to plan out where all the T/A's are for my fuel stops.  The Open Roads app on my phone even shows me the discounted fuel prices at T/A, Petro and Love's.

As Andy mentioned above you'll find them a lot more crowed at meal times and on the weekends, especially on Sundays (seems like it's the place to go after church).  I haven't had the opportunity to visit the one in St Augustine, Fl yet so I don't know how it compares to the one in Daytona but would be interested to know if anyone else has visited both.

Just for the record . . . . it's Buc-ee's

I buried my hitch so deep late Friday night the A-arms of the trailer were down in the dirt.  Seems I misjudged that little depression I was backing through 😮 .  OK, it was more of a shallow ditch. The only way out was to disconnect the trailer and raise the rear wheels with the leveling jacks until they topped out, then put a few pieces of wood under the wheels and drive out forward.  Next step was to back in at an angle.  As a rule I don't like doing that (twisting the frame). 

I too use the Open Roads app almost exclusively.  At Buc-ee's the pumps are ohhh sooooo sloooooow . . . . . but not as slow as Sam's Club!  And yes, Buc-ee's does get crowded.  Take a stroll inside @throgmartin.  It's a zoo that should be experienced at least once.  Just looking at the marketing is phenomenal, and watching the people is like watching cars negotiate I-4/I-275 (or your favorite spaghetti junction).  Whatever you do, take $20 and leave your wallet in the RV.  Buc-ee's store will suck you dry. 

- bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was at the Buc-ee's in Florence SC Sunday. (Not with coach) Place was a madhouse, no parking, virtually a circus. Lines for the bathroom, lines for checkout from front of store to the back. Driving home to Virginia with new to us toad we picked up in Florida. Someone parked next to us and damaged front fender in 3 places. 

The road getting in and out was a backup similar to LA freeways. Very brave guys and gals pulling their TT's, 5th wheels, and class A's into this madhouse. 

Have sworn them off, never again!

I stopped at the one in Florence (in my pickup) just to see what all the hype was about l. I figured out why they have so many pumps - no one uses the parking lot.  They just leave their cars at the pump and go shopping and dining.  I don’t know if I’d try to go there with the coach.  It’s a mad house.

I just found out they’re building one here in Virginia,  or too far from me.  It will be on I 64 between Richmond and Williamsburg.  

14 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

What is the attraction of Buc-ees? Low fuel costs?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Yes, both gasoline and diesel.  Each store has 100+ pumps, including ethanol free (87 and 93 octane).  Then they suck you inside with their famous bathrooms, succulent Texas brisket, mouth watering jerky, exquisite desserts, snacks to die for . . . . .  Each store is huge, on the size of a 1070's Walmart, with lots of merchandising.  It's worth it to stroll the store at least once, just leave your wallet in the RV. 

- bob

We built a Costco across the street from Bucee's in St Augustine, FL.  we used to joke about who spent the most there.  I'd usually walk across the street every other day and it was always $15 - $75 per trip.  I think we tried every food item they offered and most all was good or better....