General Coolant Discussion; SCA with ES Compleat Coolant

Go to solution Solved by Jdw12345,

• 4 weeks later...

MODERATOR EDIT.

THE SUBJECT OF WHICH COOLANT AND SUCH IS A POPULAR AND OFT DISCUSSED TOPIC.  THIS TOPIC IS COMBINED WITHE LAST CURRENT ONE.

END OR EDIT

I've never had to add engine coolant (yet) to my Cummins driven coach. That said, I've always had the SCA checked during our annual service but the coolant has never been low. Given that I've now broached the subject, I'll probably see a need to add coolant in the future. Therefore, I'm looking for advice on what to carry in case of emergency or the need to top off the radiator. Is there a special blend required for diesel engines or just grab a bottle of Prestone and be on my way? Thanks for any input. BTW my coolant is green, if that matters....thanks..Dennis

Usually labeled as Heavy Duty Diesel engine coolant.

Check the label to make sure it's pre-charged with SCA.

Usually states it's safe to mix with other non OAT coolants. The back label should also list the different engine manufacturers spec's that the coolant meets!

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to GENERAL COOLANT TOPIC; SCA with ES Compleat coolant & DISCUSSION
On 11/23/2023 at 10:44 AM, tmw188 said:

Yeah everyone throws that added requirement in. (Or 1yr) I think they say you can freshen the system up up by draining a few gal and adding fresh coolant to it. I sat thru one of their webinars awhile back. I talked to the presenter about maybe presenting at one of the Gatherings. Not sure if he and Scotty ever connected. 

We did, but… no Gathering this year. 🫤

• 1 month later...

I’ve been running Final Charge in my coach since around 2008 and changed it again in 2017 when I had a hose fail. I drained the system and replaced all the hoses - including the heater hoses - and refurbished the metal pipe. I have not tested the coolant, but I only put about 70,000 miles on the coach in that time. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Fleet School is having a live online seminar on Coolants coming up 2/21 this week.

I'm registered, thanks!

21 minutes ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

I’ve been running Final Charge in my coach since around 2008 .... 

If I ever need to drain my cooling system again, I might do that also. It bothers me to have coolant that can't be obtained at walmart or auto parts stores.

• Like 1

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to General Coolant Discussion; SCA with ES Compleat Coolant
48 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I've registered as well!

See if it's actual information, or just one long infomercial for their products!

The last one I participated in was live and interactive with text questions. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 7:38 AM, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

I’ve been running Final Charge in my coach since around 2008 and changed it again in 2017 when I had a hose fail. I drained the system and replaced all the hoses - including the heater hoses - and refurbished the metal pipe. I have not tested the coolant, but I only put about 70,000 miles on the coach in that time. 

Similar situation here.  I flushed my cooling system and switched over to Fleetguard ES Compleat back in 2008, within a year of purchasing our 2003 Dynasty.  Then in 2016 I had a water pump failure while on vacation out of town.  I was fortunate enough to be able to locate a water pump and repaired it at the campground.  Upon returning home I drained the system, replaced all radiator hoses, coolant hoses and then flushed the system several times with distilled water until clear.  I then switched over to Peak Final Charge coolant.  It is currently @ 8 years but only has about 45k-50k miles on it.  I purchased some test strips and tested it a few weeks ago.  It is still like new condition so I will continue to run it a while before replacing.

image.thumb.jpeg.d9a8eb5108fe2bf2580b771ae14ed91f.jpeg

• Like 1

@96 EVO Ben - I won't be able to attend the seminar, but I have been told that the Fleetguard ES Compleat EG is a "Hybrid" coolant that contains both SCA and OAT additives.  If they mention this can you report back what you hear?  Thanks,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill R said:

@96 EVO Ben - I won't be able to attend the seminar, but I have been told that the Fleetguard ES Compleat EG is a "Hybrid" coolant that contains both SCA and OAT additives.  If they mention this can you report back what you hear?  Thanks,

Sure!

• Thanks 1

Yes, ES compleat is hybrid, the picture on the first page states nitrites, phosphates and silicates, none of which are organic OAT.  ES compleat OAT is strictly OAT, Es compleat NOAT has nitrites which makes it hybrid in my book, but it seems they have a separate category for NOAT.

https://www.owi.com/binaries/content/assets/documents/brochures/heavy-duty-coolant.pdf

Old World Industries is PEAK, and makes many OEM coolants, so I trust their info.  Notice many ELC, OAT coolants are actually NOAT or hybrid.  If you read deeper into the weeds, you'll find Cat mixing ELC extenders with SCA bases, or Cummins Fleetgard had a procedure to "convert" SCA to ELC OAT type, which would be a hybrid of sorts. 

As far as I can tell, aluminum radiators are the biggest thing that pushed OAT, so if you replace a copper radiator with aluminum that's a good reason to switch.  But if you're still running a copper radiator, then SCA is nicer to your radiator, as long as you test or send in a sample. 

edited to add:  not sure how much I trust this site, but I'll throw this into the discussion as well:

https://gmb.net/blog/inorganic-vs-organic-coolants/

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bill R said:

I had submitted a question about my current hybrid coolant since i used Zerex last time, due to availability, and already had a discussion and an answer, in case it helps you too. He said the 3 way test strips would be an incomplete test on this HOAT and recommended their lab test kit.

From Fleetquard Materials Science Engineering Chemist:

.....While we try to recommend people using a full OAT for longevity and ease of service, hybrids still get the job done. Given that is it only about 2 years old and 20K miles on the coolant, I would expect it to have plenty of useable life left. As Jay mentioned though, the only was to know for sure is to test it. We sell Kits to have them sent off to a lab and they will give you a report back with some general information and overall health of the coolant. The part Number is CC2706. If you have any additional questions or need help with the lab report feel free to reach out to myself or Jay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Yes, ES compleat is hybrid, the picture on the first page states nitrites, phosphates and silicates, none of which are organic OAT.  ES compleat OAT is strictly OAT, Es compleat NOAT has nitrites which makes it hybrid in my book, but it seems they have a separate category for NOAT.

https://www.owi.com/binaries/content/assets/documents/brochures/heavy-duty-coolant.pdf

Old World Industries is PEAK, and makes many OEM coolants, so I trust their info.  Notice many ELC, OAT coolants are actually NOAT or hybrid.  If you read deeper into the weeds, you'll find Cat mixing ELC extenders with SCA bases, or Cummins Fleetgard had a procedure to "convert" SCA to ELC OAT type, which would be a hybrid of sorts. 

As far as I can tell, aluminum radiators are the biggest thing that pushed OAT, so if you replace a copper radiator with aluminum that's a good reason to switch.  But if you're still running a copper radiator, then SCA is nicer to your radiator, as long as you test or send in a sample. 

edited to add:  not sure how much I trust this site, but I'll throw this into the discussion as well:

https://gmb.net/blog/inorganic-vs-organic-coolants/

Good question to ask the hosts of the seminar.