Any of you guy's....

.... in your late 60's and 70's still crawling under the beast to grease the chassis yourself?

I'm not yet 61, and I'm not sure how many more years I'm going to be able to play Gumby! (Anyone who doesn't know who Gumby is, don't worry. You'll be able to grease for many more years!).

I feel like I've gone 30 seconds with Mike Tyson! (Other than I still have both ears 😉).

• Haha 2

Just turning 71 soon and my mechanic said he’ll do it. But then he owes me from when I had re seal a leaking trans filter on the road shortly after getting it serviced. 

I am 75 and greasing my coach once a year. Get cardboard to slide orotund on to do the work. I paid to have my oil changed on my car about 10 years ago and discovered they charge for grease and oil change and only changed the oil filter. I don’t trust anyone anymore and it gives me a chance to clean and do a thorough cleaning of the undercarriage.I also enjoy the thought of saving money.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul Busch said:

I am 75 and greasing my coach once a year. Get cardboard to slide orotund on to do the work.  

Good for you 👍!

Forgot to mention, I discovered a great way to get close to the steering shaft U-joint and slip yoke. Slide the gen all the way out, and you have room to kneel in there, (I have air leveling, so can lift the front quite high) and have decent access to these two zerks.

• Thanks 1

I’m 63, I’m greasing my own, change my own oil, I also do my own tires, washer/drier swap out, roof top ac/heat pump replacement next year and all new awnings and slide topper coming this fall. 
I do as much as I can!

CB96A622-B9E9-4618-86FD-64B70CEACE08.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Romeo84 said:

Just curious what general all purpose grease you guys use for your front ends

I used this grease for my trucks when I owned a small trucking business, always had good results!

https://www.shell.iq/en_iq/business-customers/industrial-lubricants/lubricants-product-range/shell-gadus-greases/_jcr_content/par/textimage_6500.stream/1486050896180/afa279d3ac084d2755eb81911f7a568fbdb85d18/Shell_Gadus_S2_V220AD_2_TDS.pdf

27 minutes ago, Jdw12345 said:

and slide topper coming this fall. 
I do as much as I can!

I've changed 3 of 4 toppers single handed.

My passenger side front topper is difficult due to the patio awning arms being in the way, so I need a helper with that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdw12345 said:

I’m 63, I’m greasing my own, change my own oil, I also do my own tires, washer/drier swap out, roof top ac/heat pump replacement next year and all new awnings and slide topper coming this fall. 
I do as much as I can!

Same here, never been to someone else's shop except the first tire change. For as long as I can, about to be 66.

• Like 3

I’m 73 and still doing all my services myself. I have a bank where I park the rig so the engine overhangs, the oil and filter change are done In a sitting position. Makes it easy. Grease monkey part is more a bit more challenging but I have an air powered grease gun, it’s just click, click click on each nipple. Old Guys Rule! 

• Like 4

75 and still going. When I get my bus out of the shop (I might be looking for a new  engine). I will shimmy under and do it myself. Not exactly like I have a date. It helps when you are old that you usually have time. Everyone needs a hobby!

• Like 2

Well, I just turned 64. This past month I changed oil w/filter, fuel filters, air filter, and air dryer canister. During the oil change, I also installed Fumoto valves. I gotta say - I feel much better doing it myself than paying a shop. One time when I picked up the coach from an oil change, the shop told me that they thought that the transmission dipstick fell off in the tube (the one at the rear of the coach). What they didn't know that on my '05 Diplomat w/ 400HP ISL and Allison transmission, the dipstick is acceptable through the bedroom hatch. ....and we pay money to trust these guys?

• Like 1

I'm 70 and I do all of my own work. My motorhome has never been to a shop. I'm going to have to pull the bedroom slide soon so I can replace the seals. I'm just about finished building a 40' x 24' barn to park in. So far I can do just about everything but much slower than I used to. I see the handwriting on the wall though. I don't know for how long.

• Like 2

Well, it the rate of my decrease in  mobility stays it's course I'll be able to keep maintaining the rig for several more years but it will take longer.

My down fall was building my own house starting at 57 doing most of the work myself.  Finished my RV garage last year so all my hard work is done.

I will still maintain my own coach, probably couldn't afford it if I had to pay someone else to do it.  Time will tell.  I'll be 64 this year.

• Like 1

I tried a synthetic grease for "other stuff" and found it dried out too quickly.  Now I'm back to a "standard" grease . . . Lucas Red n Tacky. 

I couldn't get grease into the driveshaft u-joints.  Standard pump type gun. 

What are you guys using for oil collection?  I bought a 23 qt pan from Wally World but it seems it will splash when it hits the top of the pan (I always make a mess changing oil).  Then there's the transfer from the pan back into the jugs.  I'd like to use a 5 gal bucket with a drain valve but so far I haven't come up with a good idea to seal the fitting. 

And oh, I'm 68 and would rather pay somebody else to do the work but the cost always keeps me in check. 

- bob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I've changed 3 of 4 toppers single handed.

My passenger side front topper is difficult due to the patio awning arms being in the way, so I need a helper with that one.

I’ve re-sewn 12 toppers so far (3 different rigs in the family) and can do 3 of the 4 by myself. Couple years ago while on the road, I couldn’t get the wife to stand on a short ladder to help put a new spring in the topper roller…first time  in 30 years I used a dealer.

At 77 I still do all my own repairs, upgrades, MH oil changes (take the cars to WalMart for $20) and still put in multiple 12+ hour days to/from CO. Last year I had to replace the aluminum oil pan on my ISX. Should have put down something softer than cardboard on the gravel. 

I believe in “Use it or loose it” so have no plans to stop doing my own whatever. Your mileage may vary. May have been a little optimistic buying a new skid steer and F350 last year but like it says on the back of the MH….9F935F7E-CC62-4D58-970A-0AB27A059FAF.thumb.jpeg.24e316c6b7cb7afbfa3a84dfbb65d39d.jpeg

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

I'm 70 and I do all of my own work. My motorhome has never been to a shop. I'm going to have to pull the bedroom slide soon so I can replace the seals. I'm just about finished building a 40' x 24' barn to park in. So far I can do just about everything but much slower than I used to. I see the handwriting on the wall though. I don't know for how long.

Tom, you will love having a large barn to store and work on your coach. A few years ago, I had a 48' by 18' pole building constructed. And actually I am in the process of replacing all the seals on my raised floor bedroom slide. 

• Like 1

So i have been a paid mechanic all my working life, i have seen up close an personel what LOF is when cars or trucks come in for service💩

With my coach, as with my cars when i do my LOFs it gives me a Great oppertunity to inspect the whole rig, i use a catch all mat on the ground to catch any spray, before i start i bring out my 5 gallon bucket of kitty litter for just in case there is a spill. I use two 5 gallon buckets to collect the oil in, plus BEFORE i punch a hole in the oil filter to drain it i first make sure it starts to spin free. When it comes to the grease i use Red line performance grease, i have found there are a couple zerks that are difficult to take grease cause you have to hold them so tight yet it still gets past the gun tip so i just bought a new tip for the grease gun thats supposed to stop that, well see. Also every two years i replace the 5gallon buckets (harbor frieght) cause when there not being used the rest of the seasons they live out in the weather and I dont want to have to clean a mess if one was to crack open🤦‍♂️ On the upside i try to make the task fun… by that i mean i put on some good music, put a 6 pack in the fridge for When Im Done an mayby a treat like a special sandwhich or ? 3849FAC6-C16E-40C5-8610-4FB8D37FEE00.thumb.jpeg.9b002432f32c25ee28be083fbf10b5a9.jpeg2D11146C-811F-43E3-B588-5F074D0DF369.thumb.jpeg.d38f2dff1d44eba5e1058c8b8862a837.jpeg

• Like 3

We live in a condo as the S&B. This means I do not have the barn and a large tool collection as some do. That said I do try and do as much as I can and am learning as I can, if that is possible at 69.

On our current trip it was time for an oil and lube. The local TA truck stop in Gallup NM was willing to to the oil and lube. I provided the oil and oil filter for the gas engine. Easy service.

I looked a installing a Fomoto valve but did not like it all that much. I purchased and installed a Stahlbus (german quality 😎) and it works really well. For the service, I had to give it to the tech to use.

2 more months to get home. Collecting adventures and leaving footprints.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I tried a synthetic grease for "other stuff" and found it dried out too quickly.  Now I'm back to a "standard" grease . . . Lucas Red n Tacky. 

I couldn't get grease into the driveshaft u-joints.  Standard pump type gun. 

What are you guys using for oil collection?  I bought a 23 qt pan from Wally World but it seems it will splash when it hits the top of the pan (I always make a mess changing oil).  Then there's the transfer from the pan back into the jugs.  I'd like to use a 5 gal bucket with a drain valve but so far I haven't come up with a good idea to seal the fitting. 

And oh, I'm 68 and would rather pay somebody else to do the work but the cost always keeps me in check. 

- bob

I bought an oil collector on E-bay that works by air or hand pump . Different size tubes for the dipstick.  Can be used for any liquid and has a cannister collector for the waste. Old Goat 97 Dynasty. 

46 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

, i have found there are a couple zerks that are difficult to take grease cause you have to hold them so tight yet it still gets past the gun tip so i just bought a new tip for the grease gun thats supposed to stop that, well see.  3849FAC6-C16E-40C5-8610-4FB8D37FEE00.thumb.jpeg.9b002432f32c25ee28be083fbf10b5a9.jpeg2D11146C-811F-43E3-B588-5F074D0DF369.thumb.jpeg.d38f2dff1d44eba5e1058c8b8862a837.jpeg

Rik, let us know how that grease coupler works out.

I was less than impressed with my straight coupler this time as well!

Edited by 96 EVO