How to carry, SAFELY, a spare tire for my 2005 Endeavor? Is this possible

Gonzalo

I am taking a 12 trip to Nashville TN I have new tires but wonder how you carry a full spare tire I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler a endeavor and did not fit any the luggage compartments I want estaré just in case

Guest Ray Davis

I'm sure some people carry a spare but I don't know anyone that does.  One guy talked of carrying an unmounted tire on the roof,  I don't know if he was serious or joking.

USUALLY….There is NO WAY to carry a spare tire….other than strap it on the roof of your towed vehicle….  Seriously..  the bays are too small….but there may be some models that can make them fit.  

There is also not a way of safely attaching it to your ladder…..way too heavy snd will damage a very expensive item.

Ray is correct.  At least one or two folks have “purported” to figure out how to hoist a spare tire….or a  spare wheel also…onto the roof.  Securing it is a nightmare….whatever you tie it down to is at risk of being damaged.

so….be cautious….a lose tire coming off the roof at highway speeds could cause a deadly or fatal accident.  We have had deaths locally when a tire, a passenger sized one, comes off a contractor’s utility trailer….  A young mother died a few years ago when the wheel came off and ran or bounced across the median and struck her through the windshield.

There WERE some MH’s that had enough space for a 19.5” tire…a limited number of Winnebago’s.  But Monaco never offered an acceptable solution….and it was requested many times per year.

My mounted spare just fits in a baggage slide, open dish side up so it isn't a totally lost space. I carry all the tools needed if roadside wasn't reasonably available where we might end up. It's a 11R just like all my rears so it depends.

Screenshot_20231005_205511_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ivan K
  • Like 2

• Tom Cherry changed the title to How to carry, SAFELY, a spare tire for my 2005 Endeavor? Is this possible

We've used a spare tire carrier from Roadmaster for years.  It is 10" from the back of our Diplomat so air still gets to the radiator.  Of course if we ever have a flat we would still call Coach-Net but at least we're not waiting for them to find a tire in our size.

Patricia Neuzil  '06 Diplomat

DSCN7288.JPG

• Like 2

Guest Ray Davis
58 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I don't know anyone that does

Correction,  I do know someone, it's Ivan,  now I know 2 sheena154

6 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

My mounted spare just fits in a baggage slide, open dish side up so it isn't a totally lost space. I carry all the tools needed if roadside wasn't reasonably available where we might end up. It's a 11R just like all my rears so it depends.

Most of us would really struggle with a tire and wheel.   At 82 I might not be up to the task.  Even if I can I don't want to, I guess I'm getting lazy.  Things like that just ain't much fun anymore.  Actually, they never were.  I spend a lot of money on tires hoping I won't have to deal with it.  I have 2 beautiful Michelins off the front I'll either give to a friend for his dump truck or sell to some other trucker nearby.

When we went to AK without a toad I decided to improvise a carrier.  I ended up using a platform hitch and then securing he tire to a bike rake that tipped down.  That way I could still get to the engine compartment.  This worked.

After that I modified another carrier to carry a spare tire.  It was a struggle to get it up and mounted but it was doable.  I then modified this again. 

In 2021 I decided to just throw the mounted spare in the back of the Jeep, I was traveling solo so it worked. 

But after ~+10 years of carrying a mounted spare I decided to take my chances.  

FWIW I did find out that AAA will not change an unmounted tire so if you carry the carcass you'd can't call AAA.

I just carry the tire itself securely fastened in either of the Rams trucks that I am towing, at least I don't have to wait for a tire to be ordered if there was no immediate availability, would have to pay for it to be mounted on the rim.

Wayne

1999 Signature ceaser 

9 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

A quick search on Google and this appeared, 

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.php

If you have a toad that’s an option too.

YEP.  Specs say you can safely tow up to 6000# as it is basically a LONG hitch extender.  That leaves me out…and, not that I don’t trust Roadmaster….on my second tow bar and third vehicle using their base plates….I would pass if I towed anything over say 4,500#.  Yes…that is a flaw in my personality…. LOL.

BUT, we did learn something.  Sure beats hoisitng onto the roof and screwing or pop riveting on some flimsy (but you COULD glue down with the 3M Marine adhesive) to secure either a tire or a tire and a wheel….

BTW….anybody ever seen one of these at a CG or while traveling?

I carry an unmounted tire in the second storage bay, without the storage slide.  I could wrestle it out if necessary where a mounted tire would really difficult.  I'm sure it's older than dirt but would avoid a tow and get me home, just not at 70 mph.  2003 Endeavor. 

- bob

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
18 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

so….be cautious….a lose tire coming off the roof at highway speeds could cause a deadly or fatal accident.  We have had deaths locally when a tire, a passenger sized one, comes off a contractor’s utility trailer….  A young mother died a few years ago when the wheel came off and ran or bounced across the median and struck her through the windshield.

Yeah, let's not put one on the roof.  As Tom said,  it's really dangerous.   Our daughter was driving on the hiway and saw a tire & wheel come off the back of one of those flatbed contractor trucks.  This thing was bouncing 30 ft in the air and hit her car at the windshield/roof area.   Thank heavens it struck the passenger side or it surely would have killed her.   It demolished her car.    I imagine this wheel was somewhat smaller than the ones on our coaches but it still was extremely destructive.

On a lot smaller scale, I was racing my old Legends car at Carolina Motorsports Park.
Another car fractured a brake rotor, which jammed into the caliper and ripped off his spindle/wheel/brake assembly, sending it through the infield of the track.
I was several turns ahead of him, and as I was on the short straight exiting turn 13, at around 90mph, I saw the tire bounce over the inner guardrail and impact my RF fender.
It ripped off my fender, buckled my hood and grille, and hit my RF tire, breaking both ball joints and folding the control arms into a pretzel.
It also took out my brake line and tie rod.

With no steering or brakes, I fortunately coasted off into the grass, where my suspension dug in and stopped me before hitting the wall outside turn 14.

Seeing the damage that small 13" wheel and tire did, and being thankful it didn't hit me higher in my windshield, really drives home just how destructive a loose wheel can be.

• Like 1

I now carry a spare in my tow vehicle. My 2006 Dynasty does not have enough room to carry a spare. Just a word of advice I had Good Sam roadside assistance that I used to pay for. I found myself getting a front blowout on a Sunday about 150 miles from home in Connecticut. I called Good Sam for assistance and ended up stuck on the side of the interstate for 12 hours. Their service is deeply flawed. Every time you call in I had to go thru a barrage of dial this and dial that just to get some one new and start the process all over again. Truly close to a nightmare with my wife 2 kids and 2 dogs. They should give you a direct number if you have an active problem but they don't. I ended up finding a guy who was able to find me a tire and steel rim at a truck stop and was able to come out and help me at 1 AM. They could not get me a tow truck either. I wanted to get towed off the highway maybe to a WalMart and I would continue home in my tow vehicle. Good Sam was absolutely no help. I could not even get the Police to show up. Good Sam found me a low boy tow trailer which would cost $1800 to go 3 miles. They never showed.  My advice watch your tire pressure and your DOT dates.  

rv.jpg

• Like 1

I looked at the Roadmaster tire carrier and saw it would not clear on my coach, so I welded up my own. Slip an extension handle into the top, pull the spring loaded locking pin and it pivots to either side for access to the engine bay. The U clamps take the wiggle play out of the receiver joints.  I still need to relocate and light my license plate.  Pull a couple of hitch pins and it will separate for easy removal.

PXL_20231008_144404912.thumb.jpg.6ff7951543845d3a60cc395ff5c81b5f.jpgPXL_20231008_144352939.thumb.jpg.c1f1344bf2dfe15a5da04a68c70dd8fa.jpgPXL_20231008_144337544.thumb.jpg.5b2e5a72544f9a5f1cac44164d9b55a8.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the old days, my 96 HR Endeavor diesel had a fully mounted spare located in the center underneath.  There was a crank that accessed a square pin thru an opening in the center baggage compartment to let it down.  Never had a flat, so never used it in the 20+ years we drove that coach.  Of course, there's no such thing on our 09 Dynasty.  Don't miss it.  I plan to use my iPhone to fix any future flats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tom Whitlow said:

Back in the old days, my 96 HR Endeavor diesel had a fully mounted spare located in the center underneath.  There was a crank that accessed a square pin thru an opening in the center baggage compartment to let it down.  Never had a flat, so never used it in the 20+ years we drove that coach.  Of course, there's no such thing on our 09 Dynasty.  Don't miss it.  I plan to use my iPhone to fix any future flats.

Just don't go to Alaska.  There are places up there where you can't even receive a broadcast radio station, much less a cell signal. LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

Just don't go to Alaska.  There are places up there where you can't even receive a broadcast radio station, much less a cell signal. LOL

And that's why I carry a mounted spare, 6 foot breaker bar/torque wrench, and 20 ton jack.  Traveling through the Yukon is worse than Alaska ... 200+ miles to the next cell tower and even with a satellite phone / Skylink WiFi call can be a very long wait for a service truck who still may not have a tire in stock.  Just this past year I had to run on a spare over 600 miles to get to a place to buy a tire.  I got lucky in that they had the size and brand on hand, and the date code year was within the last 2 years.

YMMV

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

And that's why I carry a mounted spare, 6 foot breaker bar/torque wrench, and 20 ton jack.  Traveling through the Yukon is worse than Alaska ... 200+ miles to the next cell tower and even with a satellite phone / Skylink WiFi call can be a very long wait for a service truck who still may not have a tire in stock.  Just this past year I had to run on a spare over 600 miles to get to a place to buy a tire.  I got lucky in that they had the size and brand on hand, and the date code year was within the last 2 years.

YMMV

Yeah, Yukon is what I was really referring to.
We took an Alaska cruise a few years ago, and did a Jeep tour into the Yukon.
Along the way it occurred to me to try the radio. I hit scan and there were NO stations, AM or FM.  I told my family that we'd officially reached the middle of nowhere. LOL

• Haha 1

For those that talk about mounting a tire on the roof....how do they get it up / down from there?  Would require a small crane attachment.

The hitch extender for the tire looks fine.  I just struggle with putting a trailer on, and all of that leverage yanking / twisting the receiver hitch down to the ground.  If little tongue weight on the Toad / trailer, then sure.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DavidL said:

...The hitch extender for the tire looks fine.  I just struggle with putting a trailer on, and all of that leverage yanking / twisting the receiver hitch down to the ground.  If little tongue weight on the Toad / trailer, then sure.

In my homemade carrier case I flat tow so no hitch weight other than the tire weight itself.  In the rare time I hook on a flatbed trailer I remove the carrier & extender and carry the tire strapped on the trailer.  I do use the hitch tighters to minimize receiver play.

Edited by amphi_sc

I have carried a unmounted spare since 2001.  We went to AK that year.  I fit in my compartment on the 2000 Endeavor and 2005 Endeavor.  It was the "best" tire from my last set.  Never used it until 2021 when I had a blowout in Texas.  The road service guy mounted it on the rim and I was on my way.  Had a second blowout in Ohio and used it to get to a tire shop after the road service guy changed it out.  A mounted tire is more than I can handle and the insurance paid for both fixes.

• Like 2