https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/31-mhd

The INTERSTATE 31-MHD 950 was the OEM on the Dynasty's and UP from circa 2005 or so.  The Camelot's had the 750 AMP HR battery.  The batteries were almost identical.  I put in the 950 and it works great...and I believe, is probably the MOST used out there, due to the NATIONWIDE network.  FWIW....LAUGH...  I put mine in about 4 years ago and got a commercial discount from the Interstate Distributor....and Paid about $135 each....  NO LIE.

I bought two back in 2022 at the Sam's Club in Salt Lake City after picking up our 2006 dynasty to drive back home to Florida. Seems the coach came with two dead chassis batteries and luckily we chose to park the first night in a Sam's Club parking lot.

• Like 1

RE chassis battery….many of us use a self taught rule of thumb.  When it is HOT (at or approaching 90) and we drive a few hours….and then stop for a break or get home and unhook the toad….and do a few things….and leave the MH to “cook” as in it heats UP when turned off and NO coolant is flowing.  If you happen to have the Dash AC on, which adds to the starting torque that the started must deliver….for the usual QUICK FIRE UP….and you turn the key and get that “OMG…it ain’t gonna start” cringe….and then it starts….time to plan or budget within the next 6 - 9 months…..for NEW chassis batteries.

The thermal expansion due to the “soaking” the block increase the cylinder compression….plus the AC Compressor load….  When that happens…and the OMG cringe hits, but it starts…..the chassis is getting weak….and you don’t need some biased load test…

works for many who have 30 odd years of MH experience and understand how a battery decays…

FWIW….works for us….others might differ…. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

RE chassis battery….many of us use a self taught rule of thumb.  When it is HOT (at or approaching 90) and we drive a few hours….and then stop for a break or get home and unhook the toad….and do a few things….and leave the MH to “cook” as in it heats UP when turned off and NO coolant is flowing.  If you happen to,have the Dash AC on, which adds to the starting torque that the started must deliver….for the usual QUICK FIRE UP….and you turn the key and get that “OMG…it ain’t gonna start” cringe….and then it starts….time to plan or budget within the next 6 - 9 months…..for NEW chassis batteries.

The thermal expansion due to the “soaking” the block increase the cylinder compression….plus the AC Compressor load….  When that happens…and the OMG cringe hits, but it starts…..the chassis is getting weak….and you don’t need some biased load test…

works for many who have 30 odd years of MH experience and understand how a battery decays…

FWIW….works for us….others might differ…. 

Just like pilots do...shut everything down before shutting the engine down and always let your EGT get below 400 F before you shut down. (that's being good to your equipment)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

Just like pilots do...shut everything down before shutting the engine down and always let your EGT get below 400 F before you shut down. (that's being good to your equipment)

OF COURSE...  Myself and many others always let the RPM drop and such.  Like when you pull into a rest stop and used the "Exhaust Brake", the engine is virtually at idle for a minute or so or more as you get to the parking spot....then let it idle for a minute or two.....  When  I enter my neighborhood it takes about 5 minutes to reach my house...so the engine has been at or near idle.  THOUGHT everyone knew that....LOL...

Good POINT...Thanks

BTW, I don't have an EGT meter...but, if you look at the "TEMP" display (4 conditions digitally displayed), the engine is still close to operating 195 temperature...  Cummins recommends not shutting down immediately after a long road run...let the engine IDLE for a few minutes....then shut off.  Thus...in my case...my neighorhood drive works...and YES, one should ALWAYS let an engine idle for a few minutes at a rest stop.  HARD to do when there are truckers behind you....but if you let it idle whilst you wait your turn...it is OK...

I checked the local Coop and Tractor supply, nothing that big.

Batteries Plus carry that size but I ended up buying at AutoZone this last time.  Drove the coach to Autozone and they helped me swap it out. 

3 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I checked the local Coop and Tractor supply, nothing that big.

Batteries Plus carry that size but I ended up buying at AutoZone this last time.  Drove the coach to Autozone and they helped me swap it out. 

WHATEVER WORKS for one....and as long as they buy a "decent battery"....then choose that brand and how it works to get a quality install...  I had TIME and carry a STRAP.  I had my DW run down to the Interstate shop...about 5 minutes away and I had them, when I called, already "ring up" the batteries, at my "special" price...and she gave them a CC.  She drove back.  I already had pulled the batteries....swapped them out.  Verified that my Intelltiec BIRD system was fine...a Fluke...later replaced the Big Boy.

We finished our PRE BRING IT HOME chores and stopped by Interstate and they gave me $20 cash for the cores...and I said...HEY.  They probably are good....as I had told them....but had a long trip and it was TIME...  Later I asked the tech, as I get my other batteries there.  YES.. We used our load tester and our "Restore" charger RIG....and sold the "used" ones....and they tested OK. WHICH WAS FINE...

As you stated...whatever works for you and you get good value and service out of.  Another member that shares my "fetishes" for maintaining and getting max life....gets about 5 years out of a cranking set and uses the RULE of thumb...and only buys, like I do....the Interstates...but we are "TROJAN FOLKS"....Need a T shirt...

I am a TROJAN man.

That would be a hoot....

Posted (edited)

Group 31 batteries will be around for a long time as they get used in many applications.

Group 31 is a specific size of battery with specific dimensions. The C I think stands for Commercial.

Group 31 size batteries come in many different CCA's plus also in a marine version which is for deep cycle uses.

You simply find one with 950 CCA's which is generally what is used in our coaches.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

Group 31 are available everywhere. Used in almost every Class 8 truck on the road.

And in two types, threaded terminals, and post terminals.  700,750, 950CCA are all interchangeable.  Most RVs will start fine with one in typical temps.  Two or three batteries makes them last longer, maybe helps the starter last longer, but the 950CCA is not critical if you can't find it.  The 750 are often a heavier duty battery as the case and weight are the same size as the 950, so the 950 is built with more and thinner plates to get more amps, resulting in a less durable battery.  If you don't need to start below zero, without plugging in, then 750 are a better choice in my opinion. 

42 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

And in two types, threaded terminals, and post terminals.  700,750, 950CCA are all interchangeable.  Most RVs will start fine with one in typical temps.  Two or three batteries makes them last longer, maybe helps the starter last longer, but the 950CCA is not critical if you can't find it.  The 750 are often a heavier duty battery as the case and weight are the same size as the 950, so the 950 is built with more and thinner plates to get more amps, resulting in a less durable battery.  If you don't need to start below zero, without plugging in, then 750 are a better choice in my opinion. 

I agree with most of your explanation…..up until the selection.  This is from a personal experience and talking to others who are experienced.

Monaco saved a few bucks….maybe in 2008….when the bean counters and purchasing folks were allowed to make “engineering/technical” decisions…based on $$.

The 07 Dynasty and up, came with 950 CCA.  Even the stock 4XX HP ISL had them.  The bigger mills usually required MORE CCA.  This assumes that an owner had NOT swapped out the standard starter and installed a “Gear Reduction” style.  Commonly done here and discussed….

OK…so the higher ends got the 950….all is well.

Them Camelots and down, and Monaco was inconsistent….so this IS a generalization decided….the SAME ISL 425 in a 2008 Dynasty got a 950.  The 2009 SAME 425 ISL , Camelot, got the cheaper 750 CCA.  Result….we wore out our batteries quicker….we go, say 2 less years….reason….when it aged, the “reserve” was loser.  STARTING issues or worse….died more frequently.  The Dynasty folks got longer…

Simple math.  Interstate GR 31 LHD 750 is $180. GR 31 MHD 950 is $190.

Pair of 750 is $360.  Lasts 3 years….$120 per year.  The 950 is $380….Lasts 5 years…$76 per year.

THAT is why I and way more that I remember upgraded when the OEM 750 died….

BTW….the OEM Deep Cycle GC2 HOUSE batteries we Interstates in most 07 and up coaches….I know for a fact in Dynasty and Camelot’s were 225 AMP Hours.  ST-225….

I have not, out of curiosity, found that equivalent on the Interstate site….but there is a “Private BOX” Interstate that says RV/Marine/Golf Cart battery sold or was stocked at COSTCO.  It only had 190 Amp Hours….

BUT if you googled and went to the Interstate site….all the same never found the 190 AH….but it was on the shelf at Costco….maybe NOT now….

MOTIVE T-105   That is the “model” number of the Trojan T-105….sold today.  It is STILL a PURE 225 AH battery.  

BUT.  I googled Costco….the STOCK RV/GC/Mariine battery (GC2) is 210 AH.  It also weights 4 - 5 pounds….depending on the spec sheet you find, than the Trojan.  Maybe Interstate makes a 225?  But when folks talk about auto parts store batteries and “box” batteries….one needs to be careful and read the AH and weight….

JUST slightly off topic, but an observation that we post from time to time….

In March I went to de-winterize the coach and the Beast chose to not start.  No joy on the big A$$ 8D chassis battery so I began the process of removing the battery trays, cleaning and painting with POR 15 and installing 2 new Group 31 950 CCA starting batteries from the local NAPA auto parts store.  The Beast cranked faster than ever and fired right up.  

I must say that it sure is a lot easier moving around and lifting the Group 31’s than the 8D.  Thanks to all the great information and advice from this group the job was not quite so daunting as it might otherwise have been.

Thank you Monacoers!🙏

10 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

My '08 Scepter came equipped with a pair of 950CCA group 31's!

Our 2005 Exec with the Detroit option also came with two Group 31C 950 CCA batteries. First replacement was with 900 CCA versions, as 950s seemed in short supply at that point. Later on, after seeing some posts from others with similar setups, and even easier to lift that the originals.

11 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

My '08 Scepter came equipped with a pair of 950CCA group 31's!

BEN.... You are a GENIUS.  OK...a bit over the top.  BUT, you have just solved the great MYSTERY of Batteries.  MONACO, GOD FORBID, CHEATED on my Camelot.  I DID come with the 750's. I and others thought it was just how Monaco did it to "reduce costs".

YES....they actually did that...as in substituted the 750's....maybe they were OUT of 950's.  BUT, sure enough...my manual and the print say.  THAT BIG BOY NEEDS 950's...

Seriously, now I know....in the early builds of my Camelot or maybe I just got a FREAK....or a GOOF....they put in 750's..

Here, for everyone's information is the "RELEASED FOR MY 2009" Electrical Specs.  THIS covers many models including the Camelots.  The Dynasty and above were all 950 CCA.

NOW....for comments about 750's will work fine.  NOTICE the requirement for the Starter.  ALL are 1500 CCA.  So, Monaco's logic and mine and also my experience...you do NOT put in the Minimum rating...you oversize...not DOUBLE...so I was SUPPOSED to have 950's.  

Thanks again for information that can be verified rather than guessed at.  I assumed, as many do...that mine was built to the drawings...  OMG...NO.

I can also tell you that Monaco, even in the early 2009 builds were running out of things.  They put in the WRONG Tank Monitoring harness on a friend's 2009 Camelot and sent him the print of what he should have had and the Specs on the MISSING diodes and told him to INSTALL them and fix his harness.  This was AFTER Navistar bought them...so there was NO WARRANTY on the MONACO OWNED and BUILT Coaches....but they would tell you what was wrong...  LOL>

THANKS...

Battery Electrical Specs.pdf

I don't have enough or consistent experience with 31T to confirm or deny the difference between the 750 and 950CCA types, especially in any particular application.  I would say that RVs typically suffer more abuse from neglect and deep discharge than trucks or other equipment.  In my limited experience, it's not uncommon to get ten years out a pair of batteries in a medium duty truck.  The difference between 3, 5 or 10 years would be mostly abuse, or random failures. 

In the case of those interstate models, the 750 has less reserve capacity as well as CCA, so it could be a lighter battery, and not fewer thicker plates.  The heavier duty 750CCA story was told to me in response to a question about poor life (5-7years).  I was not a hard sell as I'd heard that before, it was from a battery representative, but still a salesman, so who knows.  

I just replaced both my Group 31 batteries this past winter.  The best price I found was Batteries Plus.  Looking at my records, the price almost doubled from the price I paid 5 years ago, for the same batteries also from Batteries Plus - the best price I could find at that time also.

-Rick N.

38 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

I just replaced both my Group 31 batteries this past winter.  The best price I found was Batteries Plus.  Looking at my records, the price almost doubled from the price I paid 5 years ago, for the same batteries also from Batteries Plus - the best price I could find at that time also.

-Rick N.

Looked mine up....

June 2015.  Interstate - Distributor price...from Distributor... MHD-950   $240 for PAIR NET after old battery trade in.  Tax included.

October 2021. Interstate...same Distributor....talked to a guy on the phone on the service/sales desk and sort of conned him into a discount.  $257 - Pair. GROSS with taxes and no Core Deduct...

Wife picked up and the guy ringing up the ticket (sticky note with my name and price) said...  OMG...  He really gave your husband a discount.  I think that is what we pay for them...laughed and then honored the price... 

HOWEVER, then we went back and got $20, so the NET price was $237 for TWO.  

I KNOW they are more now... They are now charging, no discount, the MSRP, I THINK.  $190 as I quoted a few days ago.  OUT THE DOOR...with cores turned in and taxes...  $405....or 71% MORE.  YEE DOUBLE OUCH...

You got me curious, so I just looked mine up also.  June 2019 I paid $282.51 - $58.45 = $224.06 for two Group 31 batteries.

In February 2024 I paid $384.77 -$58.69 = $326.08 for the exact same batteries, but I did purchase the second set in Phoenix, with a slightly higher sales tax. 

In the last 2 - 3 years batteries (as with almost everything) have gone way up - 45% in this case.  But, they were still the cheapest Group 31 batteries I could find at the time - including Sam's Club and Costco.  Note that I'm west of the Mississippi, and have been told that battery products are different, so my experience may be different from those on the east side.

-Rick N.  

58 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

You got me curious, so I just looked mine up also.  June 2019 I paid $282.51 - $58.45 = $224.06 for two Group 31 batteries.

In February 2024 I paid $384.77 -$58.69 = $326.08 for the exact same batteries, but I did purchase the second set in Phoenix, with a slightly higher sales tax. 

In the last 2 - 3 years batteries (as with almost everything) have gone way up - 45% in this case.  But, they were still the cheapest Group 31 batteries I could find at the time - including Sam's Club and Costco.  Note that I'm west of the Mississippi, and have been told that battery products are different, so my experience may be different from those on the east side.

-Rick N.  

$278 in TX a year ago from Batteries+ as well. Will see how long they last, I put a PowerPulse on them to hopefully help out. That was with 10% online discount that they matched in store and I kept one good old battery for my tractor and substituted it with a smaller one which cost me $5 in core charge. Things aren't certainly looking up.

20240514_121615.jpg

Truck shops are often the cheapest and freshest batteries.  The peterbilt shop had a special of $90 and even a couple bucks less with their card, plus tax and core charge of course.  The 750cca "heavy duty" I mentioned were $99 each with exchange, didn't ask for, but may have got a discount, they were almost six months old and six of them.