Which TPMS do you use and like/dislike and why?

We are in the market for our first system, have a tag axle and want to also install sensors on our toad, a Buick Envision.  Would love to hear about your experiences with your systems.  Much appreciated.  

Stay away from Doran TPMS. My first experience with that one and it was a disaster. Finally decided on Tire Safeguard TPMS after considering Pressure Pro and TST. I haven't been disappointed. I have sensors on all 6 coach tires, 4 car tires and I even bought the two wheel motorcycle version for my Victory. I have a display in my coach and one in my car for the times we are not towing the car.

I chose the CAP Sensors versus the Flow-Thru ones because they are smaller and less weight flying around the rim.

I have a TST sensor that likes to read low.  I threw some silicone spray into the air side and it read well for awhile, now it's reading low again . . . . I think.  When I pull the sensor to verify the valve core collapses into the stem so it's automatic add air just to check the pressure.  Fortunately it's left front, right next to the aux air outlet. 

I'd love to have a monitor that displays psi on all wheels at once instead of going through each wheel at a time (TST) but unless this one dies I'll stick with it. 

It seems the sensors are the expensive part when you add them all up, not the monitor. 

- bob

We have Eeztire with 12 sensors and it serves me well. It is a one at a time display but it tells you if a communication is lost with a sensor. I would not want one that just continues to display last known reading, I hear there are some like that. 

• Like 3

I’ve used TireMinder for 4 years and have been very pleased with it. It has alerted me to a few issues before they got serious. Just keep the batteries up-to-date. 😉 Tire Minder sends you new batteries for free once per year - you just have to remember to ask for them.  

Pressure Pro is probably the most loved system on this board (and the old Yahoo Monacoers group.). The only downside I’ve ever heard to Pressure Pro is that you can’t replace batteries in the sensors, although anecdotally they seem to last a long time… when the battery is toast you have to replace the sensor (unless they’ve changed that recently). 

I chose TireMinder because I can use an old iPad mini for my monitor - having had a system with dedicated monitor before, I like the flexibility of a device that can be upgraded. TM is coming out with an upgrade for that system later this year that will show all tires at once. 

• Like 1

Tire Minder was the one my husband had picked, but I was leery about the having to use your phone.  I never thought about a tablet!  I have a Samsung one, and heck, small ones are cheap as heck these days.  We aren't an Apple family, we have Androids.  I would assume it can be programmed for an Android device as well.  

Thanks so much for all the great advice.  I surely do appreciate you taking the time to respond.  

12 minutes ago, Sharon L. said:

I would assume it can be programmed for an Android device as well.

Yes, the TireMinder Smart TPMS will work with Android devices.  (Just not Windows tablets 🙄)

It doesn’t need to be the latest device…. My iPad mini is a first generation unit, but it does this just fine. 

I have used TST on 3 different rigs. Current setup is 8 tires on coach using flow through caps and 4 tires on toad, Have yet to have issue on this coach (like those big tires!) but has saved my bacon on a couple of times, one in AK just north of Anchorage and one on the I-10 in TX. Like the flow through for the coach since easy to air up if need be. Too heavy for the toad so use the caps. Big plus is I can change the batteries myself with inexpensive OTC batteries. Vulcan has had the best prices.

My first TPMS was a Hopkins, it was still working but they no longer sold the sensors and the batteries were not replaceable.   Lesson Learned.

So last year I started looking at options and ultimately decided on the TST 507.   A real plus was that the batteries can be changed, I bought replacements to carry, ~$7 for 6.  .  I've only used on one trip but it worked great, once the sensors sync with the base unit they haven't lost signal once. 

FWIW there was a poll on the IRV2 forum and 320 people responded, 75% of them use the TST. 

• Like 1

Pressure Pro since 2006…a little hard to program and the batteries are not replaceable…$25 each for new sensors. I take them off if not going to use for a month so 8-10 years before needing new ones. I mounted the monitor so the antenna is in the side glass area and no repeater needed for those on the toad.

Silverleaf will display P Pro but I still use the monitor.

I guess I am prejudiced but I have been using the TST system for about 12 years and have worked for TST doing Tech Support for the last 6 years. We have a very solid system with almost no errors. The fact you can change the batteries in both the 507 flow-through sensors and the cap sensors keeps the system going a long time. I spoke with a couple of individuals over the last two weeks that have had our system since 2011 and it is still going strong. They just change the batteries once a year. We have newly designed cap and flow-through sensors to keep up with the times and both our color display and grayscale display are a good size for viewing. Of course we have GREAT Tech Support 🙂 and strive to make everyone happy with their TST system.  Currently Forest River uses our internal sensors on all of the products they manufacture so that, in itself, is quite a testimony to our product line and its reliability.

JimG
2006 Camelot

• Like 2

To ncjimgr……. Am getting ready to either replace our Pressure Pro system, or buy 12 new Pressure Pro sensors.  I looked at TST a few years ago, and even called the factory with a few questions.  I was told that the monitors had an internal battery, AND that I should NOT leave the monitor plugged into the 12v source other than to charge the internal battery.  The person I talked to advised that I would damage and dramatically shorten the monitor life if I left the monitor plugged in.  That would leave me with another unwanted task of assuring the TST monitor was charged each trip.  I find this hard to believe, but if that is correct, then that is what it is, and I’ll continue my search or just continue buying new PP sensors every 5-6 years.  Can you confirm or refute the information I previously was advised by TST?

Ward,

What you stated is partially true. Both the grayscale and color displays have lithium batteries and those batteries like to be discharged and recharged for longer battery life. You can absolutely keep the display plugged in if you like.  The person you spoke with is incorrect that you would damage the display, but you will shorten the battery life if you keep it plugged in. This is over the course of 5-7 years, not immediately. Any lithium battery left 100% charged will do the same thing, no matter what the application. The advantage of using the display on battery power is the elimination of just one more wire going across your dash to another display. The display will run 7-10 days on a full charge. The "suggestions" are to give you, the customer, the best possible life with the system. If you want to plug it in all the time, that is your prerogative. It will work either way.

JimG
2006 Camelot

A follow up for ncjimgr….. Is the TST monitor battery user replaceable?, and if I always leave it plugged in, will the monitor continue to function after the battery useful life has been exhausted?  My Garmin GPS has an internal battery, but we always leave it plugged in while traveling, it senses loss of external power and automatically shuts itself off, but does give the user a brief option to leave it on sans external power….and battery continues to function (power GPS for a few hours after external power is removed) after 6 or 7 years of use like this.  I really want to like the TST system, if it weren’t for this “maintenance” issue.

3 hours ago, ncjimgr said:

Ward,

What you stated is partially true. Both the grayscale and color displays have lithium batteries and those batteries like to be discharged and recharged for longer battery life. You can absolutely keep the display plugged in if you like.  The person you spoke with is incorrect that you would damage the display, but you will shorten the battery life if you keep it plugged in. This is over the course of 5-7 years, not immediately. Any lithium battery left 100% charged will do the same thing, no matter what the application. The advantage of using the display on battery power is the elimination of just one more wire going across your dash to another display. The display will run 7-10 days on a full charge. The "suggestions" are to give you, the customer, the best possible life with the system. If you want to plug it in all the time, that is your prerogative. It will work either way.

JimG
2006 Camelot

Makes sense!

I've recently purchased a couple of E-bikes, so learning a lot about lithium packs.

Apparently the worst thing you can do for battery life is leave them 100% charged for a extended period of time. 

8 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Apparently the worst thing you can do for battery life is leave them 100% charged for a extended period of time. 

Ben & Jim,

So if that is true about Lithium batteries, what are the RV owners doing who have installed a very expensive Lithium Battery Bank for their house batteries and have them hooked up to the Inverter/Charger and plugged into shore power ALL the time? Are they not being charged 100% of the time?

What am I missing or not understanding?

Lithium batteries are tricky.  From what I've read they don't like a constant charge being applied.  Lithium chargers don't charge like lead acid ones do.  So if you convert over to lithium you have to convert the charging system also.  Lithiums can also accept more current during charging, so the charging system has to either have the capacity or be protected, like an alternator supplying too much current (poof goes the alternator).  More $$ but way more capacity and life.  How long will one keep the coach?  Is it worth it?  Those are the tough questions.

You can charge lithium with a lead acid charger but lithium really hates V > 14.9V (permanent damage) . . . and you can't float charge a lithium like a lead acid.

There's a lot more I don't know.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.

We return you back to your normal programming . . . .

Best,

- bob